1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room to breath

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chantrys, Apr 26, 2005.

1. chantrys

chantrys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've read quite a few people talk about giving speakers "room to breath" particularly when looking to minimise bass boom.

Is there a guide to how much room you should give speakers from font & side walls. I'm about to pick up a pair of Quad 22L's and would like some advice on how to position them.

Thanks,
    marcus

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    In an ideal world, 1 metre from the rear wall is required. However, at this distance, the speakers are considerably “sitting” in the room, and is unsuitable for a lot of situations.

Distance can be reduced to around 30 or 40 cm for a considerable amount of the “boom” to be reduced to a point where it is not significant.

Side walls should also be around the same amount, but I would add, that the preferred positioning is that the “prime” sitting position and speakers are located on the points of an equilateral triangle (ie the distance between the speakers is the same as the distance from each speaker to the seating position).

Obviously, experimentation is required to determine what you (and whoever may have input on the room aesthetics) can live with.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I own the Acoustic Energy Evo3's and the manual had the recommended 'breathing' distances in them. Still not the easeiest thing to do is accomodate the recomendations especially in a small room. I still have a little boom creep in now and then :(

4. chantrys

chantrys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    my room is roughly 4.5m x 4m, so how much room should I give them to breath?

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    It might say in the manual. Try looking on Quads website to see if you can download the manual (if you dont have it yet) or even email them for the info.
    Im sure they will be happy to help you.:)

6. chantrys

chantrys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I am picking them up on Friday so I guess I'll wait until then and read the manual. I'm just a bit excited and am trying to get all the feedback I can so I can set them up as soon as I get them home on Friday.

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have heard them briefly in a demo and they sounded fantastic and looked lovely. Im sure your going to love them when you get them home and break them in. :smashin:

8. chantrys

chantrys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I borrowed two pairs of speakers over a 3 day weekend to run comparisons. I borrowed the QUAD 22L's and Kef XQ5's and much to my wifes dismay, I virtually sat there for 3 days running through all of my CD's trying to decide between the two.

I found the XQ5's very detailed at the high end but were really missing something in the mid-range, particulaly with vocals. By the end of the weekend I was glad that I'd taken the time to get the two pairs to compare side by side, on my equipment.

Roll on Friday I can't wait. Just got to start saving now for the QUAD L series Sub to match the 22L's and L Centre!!!!