1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room Size

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kev S, Jan 14, 2001.

1. Kev S

Kev S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im currently running a Denon AVC-10SE with 4 x B&W601's & a REL Q100E sub (speakers set to small). Im looking at upgrading the front speakers (and installing a matching centre speaker).

I was looking at getting some floorstanders (shortlisted for a demo Yamaha YS200C, Mission MX74 & B&W603..ideally would prefer a magnetically shielded speaker which the B&W is not) but Im worried about the room size which is 12ft x 10ft and whether floorstanding speakers could be too overpowering for the room size (perhaps just upgrade the 601's to 602's ?)

Any advice re:- speaker & room size would be appreciated.

2. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whatever you do, consider keeping your speakers set to SMALL in your amp setup (even if they are floorstanders).
    As usual, audition at home if you can.

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    You can try it for yourself, but I find that with adequate amp power and as long as the main speakers go down to 40-50 HZ, having the main speakers set to large and LFE directed to both works best. I found that to be the case even with a REL Q200. As for the speakers I can recommend the Celestion C series, the C2 fonts and centre speaker cost about £900. There is a review of them on this site.

PS They are shielded and my room is 7x14 ft so you shouldn't have a problem.

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited 14-01-2001).]