1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room Size

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by brianch, May 19, 2005.

1. brianch

brianch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

First post so forgive me for being a bit dense :)
    I will soon be moving from my flat to a house, so will be able to really crank up the volume without annoying the neighbours.
    Problem is the room size will be approx 18 x 11 feet.
    I was thinking of the Pioneer VSX-2014i-S or the Arcam AVR300 (with appropriate speakers). However I am now starting to think these amps may be far too powerful for the room size.
    Obviously I will demo these beforehand with some speaker configs, but the demo rooms are going to be much larger than my room size, so how will I know what they will sound like in a smaller room?

Also - is a 42" plasma/lcd too much for an 8ft viewing distance?

Finally - floor standers. What distance from a wall should these be placed for optimal sound?

Cheers

B.

2. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Amps can't really be too big for a room, because if the room is small, you can just play it at lower volumes, and the better amps will resolve better at lower volumes than the cheaper amps, so it's really speaker size that probably counts more than amp size. (Unless you count the Denon AVC-A1XV, because that thing won't fit into most small rooms.)

As far as how they sound in a small room, that's a problem everyone has to deal with. Very few people will be able to demo an amp in a room exactly the same size as their own at home. Again, I think speakers are more of an issue here.

As for the plasma, it does sound a little big for that distance, most specs I've ever seen recommend about a 12' minimum, but depending on how good the screen is and how good the source is, that can be bent a little. On paper, though, 8ft is quite close.

As for the floorstanders, depends which ones you have, and which way they're ported. Front ported speakers tend to have a little more leniency. I remember reading B&W's website which recommended 40cm, which is over a foot. Now if you only have 8ft to your screen, I'm guessing you don't have a foot to waste on speaker distances. Just remember that the closer you place them to the wall, the more boomy they're likely to get, especially in a small room.
    It'd help if you told us which speakers, though?

3. brianch

brianch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of getting the Monitor Audio RS-6's as fronts - still undecided on center, and also thinking of MA's RS-fx as rears. Possibly with REL Quake (got to get Wife friendly kit as well )

Plasma may be Pioneer 43xde - thing that will drive the plasma is dual tuner. I currently have a HHUGGGEE phillips (about 8 yrs old) but it has full split screen functionality - I can watch footy/play Xbox while wife watches Corrie. This is a must on flat screen upgrade (old phillips too big for new room).

Meant to mention that music/HC will be about 40/60 % which was why I was thinking on Arcam - maybe only the 250 though as I probably won't need more.

Didn't realise that this home cinema m'larkey was so complicated :)

Currently have the mission fs-2 AV speakers with a Yamaha DSP5 if I remember - not enough clout for music though (arcam cd73t)

Cheers

B.

4. Blindman

Blindman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We have an Arcam AVR300 in a room 18' by 13' - it sounds great!

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ina room that size it would be the speakers i'd shrink a little, I'd consider the MA RS1 as fronts and MA radius90 as rear and MA RSLCR, or quad 11l front and back with quad centre. option1 would be approx £850, option2 about £1100. Plus sub, rel quake would probably be a good choice.
    If you like the look of a floorstander check out the radius range floorstander.