1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room size?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by p3rfect, Jan 20, 2005.

1. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just curious to know to what degree room size plays on your choice of speakers, i.e. floor standers vs standmounts. Is there a theoretical minimum room size for floorstanders? I'm after a pair of spkrs for an Arcam a90 + p90 to go in a room very approx. 12ft x 10ft.

Currently using a pair of Mission M74's, but I appreciate they are utter garbage. Have recently bought some Dynaudio Contour 1.1's for my bedroom, and after hearing the quality of those I am very tempted to go for the Contour 1.3SE downstairs on stands.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    A lot depends on what else you have in the room. I would say floorstanders may be a bit much. You certainly won't get the full 'effect' of the larger cabinets. A good set of standmounts would certainly work well.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  4. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply, on a side note, I may be moving house soon (if the chain doesn't break for a 3rd time!), and the dimensions will change to 10ft x 16ft - speakers to be placed along one 10ft wall... so I guess not too disimiliar to my old room.

My budget is around £1000.00. Then extra on stands and cables.

I bought my Arcam a90 and p90 for £900.00, 2 months old, and definetly want to purchase some second hand speakers too. I've seen the Contour 1.3SE for a little over a grand and that's one of the things that attracted me to them! There doesn't seem to be many stand mounts in that price bracket!!

Any other thoughts?

Would a pair of Nautilus 804 or similiar just be totally wrong?

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    For that money second hand you'd have to take a look at the JMLAB Electra 907 BE or the Electra 906 (may be more available). They seem to be quite hard to find but they are excellent speakers. The Utopia Micros are one of the best standmounts i've ever heard, soundstage, detail, transparency everything was spot on. The Electra's aren't quite as good but they are still an excellent speaker. I would think they'd be a good match for your Arcam amps.

6. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers dude, I'll just keep my eye open in the usual places. The M74's are annoying the hell out of me, never realised just how horrible they sound until I compared them with the Contours! Need to fix that pronto!!

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  8. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    If you are considering bookshelf speakers include into your budget the cost of some decent stands.

Room acoustics are probably the most least talked about area with regards to AV-HiFi yet have a massive influence on the total sound quality.

9. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    stands I will buy extra, so are most agreed that floorstanders are out of the question?

10. 3wrLcs

3wrLcs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that the key to a small room is to avoid speakers that will produce standing waves and therefore a large bass peak in your room. With 12 x 10 feet I guess that you will need something that rolls off at about 60Hz so standmounters would be suitable. One solution would be to setup a sub/sat system using a reasonably musical sub. If you like the 1.1s then try and get a musical sub for a dem and give it a go in your lounge with the 1.1s. Tune the sub to below the resonant frequency of your room and you may be able to have deep tuneful bass in a small room without the boom. Whilst I understand that this goes against the advice of most of the hifi community I've gone down this route and am very happy with the results. I use JM lab Micro utopia Be speakers and a small REL sub in a room 12.5 x 11.5.

3wrLcs

11. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just realsed i can't use the contours ... they are not biwirable are they... so wont be able to bi amp them either aw