1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room Size Selection!?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sniper, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Let's say I can choose an HC installation in one of two rooms! One is 14ft by 14ft (almost!) - and the other is 19ft by 14ft (almost again!).

Note:
    14ft = 4.3m
    19ft = 5.8m

Screen sizing is not really an issue as I'm choosing a 2m widescreen (that's 92" diag) - and this results in a reference viewing distance of ~10ft (~3m) - so any room will do.

But sound is differnent - I know that the best way is to try in both, but that's not going to be possible, so the descion has to be a studied one.

Sound equipment (which i sort of decided on!) is 3 M&K K7 and 4 M&K K4 - powered by Denon 3805 or Pioneer AX5I or Yamaha 2400 (any views on these?). OH! and an SVS PB1-ISD. (had forgot about this !!!! hit me!)

What would you (so knowledable ppl) say? Smaller room? Bigger room!?

My feeling is the almost square one!

:)

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Generally the bigger the room the better. It allows more room for the music to breath improving the performance. Also less Boom and generally better acoustic properties. Of course a lot depends on the construction of the floor, walls, etc.
    In a 14'x14' room you should be looking at standmount speakers. You may be OK with floorstanders in the bigger room.
    HTH

3. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Well the room is stone and concrete (i'm from Malta), and i was thinking of using curtians for the sidewalls to reduce annoying standing waves!

My idea was to steer away from ported speakers (bar the sub) as sealed speakers (like the M&K) react less to the immediate enviroment! Oh and yes everything was going to be wall-mounted!

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    19 X 14 would probably be better if you go for the 14 X 14 you'll probably get terrible peaks at 40 and 80 Hz since the room modes are the same for the width and length if that makes any sense.

Curtains would only help reflections at much higher frequencies, of course you could use a BFD on the SUB but not neading to would be better.

Hope that helps

Slingshot

5. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    was thinking about this for a while.... so you say the 19x14ft!

and on which wall would you fix the screen? i know the obvious would be the 14ft, but if i use the 19ft wall for the screen i would be able to put the front spks further apart - getting better serperation. no?

6. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well for Stereo I've read the normal recomendation is to have speakers on the longer wall, with the seating opposite right against the rear wall.

No gaurantees if it was me I'd be tempted to put the screen on the 19 foot wall.

Slingshot

7. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    actually i've just had a look at the M&K K7 manual (pdf from website!) and the recomended position is that they'd be apart about the same distance that the listener is away from the screen (they sure worded it better then me!)

in my case that's about 10ft - so if i attach them 10ft apart on the 14ft wall, that still leaves me 2 ft on either side of the speakers, which i guess should be enogh to avoid silly reflections (given that they'll be towed in)

aaaaaaaaaaa - decisons!