1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room size/lumens question.....newbie

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BFC, Nov 14, 2004.

1. BFC

BFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I'm an absolute beginner here so please bear with me.

Trying to help my dad put together a decent home cinema system. He's willing to pay for good quality and is buying new, starting from scratch.

I need all sorts of advice on what's needed as far as hardware goes, plus cabling and set up.....

Initial question is about the set up. The room is big - 20 feet by 35 feet, plus right up to the roof...about 15 feet at its tallest. If the home cinema projector/speakers etc goes in one corner, will there be a problem keeping the sound there without it 'wafting' around the room??

Once I've got a grasp on this, I need to decide what kit to buy.......any advice much appreciated :thumbsup:

2. BFC

BFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah - lumens......

How important is this, given the room size mentioned?? I have been looking at the Sanyo Z3 projector, but it seems a little low at 800 lumens. Is this a key factor???

Cheers
    Alex

3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    the corner idea will affect the sound more than the picture although the best place to sit when watching the screen is directly in front of it. Brightness tends to reduce as you move off axis from the center line. If the room is rectangular without any protruding walls, I would suggest placing the screen on the long wall and the seating opposite, in other words , the width of the room and not the length.
    You state that the room has a very high ceiling so you may need to place the projector either on the rear wall ( 20 feet is quite a long way back) or preferably, on a small table just infront of the seating position( a coffee table will do, but you can buy or make a purpose built unit that hides the projector from the seating position). I would have the seats about 15 feet back from the screen which will allow the rear speakers some distance from your position and will allow the screen ( about 8 foot wide would be good) to fill your peripheral vision.
    If the centre speaker cannot be located directly behind the screen ( you can get perforated screens that allow the sound to pass through them but be carefull which one you buy as LCD/DLP projectors can give off a miore pattern on some perf screens ( a company called Screen Research make one that is fine with LCD/DLP projectors))
    Then place it as close to the bottom of the screen as possible and the left/right speaker's tweeters should aline with the center's tweeter for correct sound panning.
    You should really have a way of placing the room in total darkness for movie viewing as any ambient light can ruin contrast on a projector. I would say depending on your budget, to audition the new Sony HS50 (£1900), the Infocus Screenplay 5700 ( £2200) and the Mitsubishi HC900E ( £1875) which has variable brightness from 1500ANSI lumens and 2000:1 contrast down to 550ANSI lumens and 4000:1 contrast.
    Whatever projector you look at, it should have at least 2000:1 contrast and preferably over 800ANSI lumens max brightness although if you can view in total darkness, this can be lower.
    High resolution does not garauntee a perfect picture although it will improve detail and sharpness. The video processing is also very important, if not more so as for movies, a smooth, artifact-free, filmic image is more important than all out resolution which is more usefull for PC applications. Faroudja are one of the best video processing companies around and all of the Infocus Screenplay projectors as well as many others have their video processing incorporated.
    Always use the very best connection you can. This means DVI/HDMI ( if possible) Component next, RGB scart, S Video and lastly composite. The last one really should never be used as it is terrible!!
    Monster cables are very good quality and reasonably priced. try and keep the lengths of cables down as low as possible because as a rule of thumb, the longer the cable, the lower the signal strength that reaches your projector.
    Feel free to ask anything else and I'm sure there will be plenty of helpful advice offered.
    Good luck