1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room size - definitions?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cerebros, May 26, 2003.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Are there any "official" definitions about for room size, e.g. what dimensions or area qualify a room as small or large for audio purposes?

I'm just trying to figure out what subs I should consider for the new lounge if I feel one is necessary and the budget allows....

For info, the area of the lounge is 16.41 square metres as best I can estimate (odd shape room and having forgotten all my GCSE maths through never having needed it for the past 10 years means i can't calculate exactly)

2. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As far as I know there are no standards for room size. I seem to remember from many years ago that a volume of 2000 cu. ft. was considered to be the division between small and large rooms.

The other factor is the longest dimension of the room. If this is greater than half a wavelength at the lowest frequency that you want to reproduce the room can be considered to be large. For instance, if you want to reproduce 20Hz the wavelength is about 50 ft, so if your room is more than 25 feet long it would be large.

Bill