Room Shape

A

annefromuk

I am considering getting an extension built on the side of my parents house.

We live on a bend and there is a gap between the Garage and the House, The garage is at a 30 degree angle to the house.

I have two choices :-
1) Have a rectangle shaped room about the same dimensions as the garage.
2) Have a Rhombus shape to maximise space, / \
this will mean one end will have the same width as the garage, but the other end will able to have a larger width than possible with option 1.

I would prefer to use option 2, but if this is going to affect the accoustics badly I will use option 1.

The reason being is that number 2 gives me the option of having a bigger screen or having a wider seating area.

What do you think I should use?

Thanks in Advance

Anne

Being that it's a good idea NOT to have parallel walls, I'd say option 2 with the bonus of more space is a no-brainer.

yep go for 2 . i'm sure most of us would love the option of not having parallel walls .

the stranger the shape gets the better the sound :D . well maybe not but the further you get away from a cube the better off you will be

i would personaly go for the larger seating area rather than bigger screen . then you will be able to fit all the mates that start to turn up on your door step once you have your own dedicated cinema ;)

Thanks for the advice.

I blame Spectre for making me look for a space to put a home cinema :D
It was after seeing his site that I started looking for somewhere to build, and it looks like I have found the perfect spot.

What is good is that I can maximise the space without damaging the sound.

All I need to do now, is convince my parents - I will tell them I need a Office for a Home Business I am going to set up :)

My house must have been designed for it, as this space is right next to the porch, so when you go into the front door, you can choose to go into the house, or into the Cinema (I am even going to have a little cloakroom and an extra toilet).

Anne

Originally posted by annefromuk
I blame Spectre for making me look for a space to put a home cinema :D
It was after seeing his site that I started looking for somewhere to build, and it looks like I have found the perfect spot.

yep seeing a good hc will do it every time . i was happy with my good old 28" tv till i saw some of the cinemas in hcc

Clearly, the irregular shape will benefit the acoustics; however, you'll still be required to place acoustic treatments on the walls in order to reduce reverberation time in the room. You should consider the addition of soffits (or bulkheads) to further alter room dimensions.

Thanks again all :kisses: you have been very useful

I will design a website for it, so I can keep you all updated on its progress.

Also I am going to buy HCC this month so I can read the sound advice feature.
I take it that 'acoustic treatments on the walls' and 'addition of soffits' is covered in that feature?
otherwise I won't have a clue :confused:

Anne

Hi Dennis,

Is it true you used to work for BT (The Post Office?)?

I work for BT myself, so I was wondering if you do BT discount? :)

gary.

You definitely want the screen at the "narrow" end,
and lining the walls with fabric (preferably over rockwool)
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom