Room Layout & Speaker Placement - Help needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ukguy4672, Aug 4, 2006.

1. ukguy4672

ukguy4672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi

I have just moved from my rented accomodation and into my own house. Now that I have the luxury of being able to set-up my HT system how I want it - I wanted your comments/feedback on how best to do this.

The problem, like many people, is that my lounge isn't the ideal shape and that I have a chimney breast which is off center on one of the side walls. This makes getting the right speaker placement slightly more difficult - at least for me.

Then of course there is the other half - but I am slowly wearing her down as we speak :D

My system consists of the following:

Sony BRAVIA 32" LCD (currently mounted on an Alphason Aragon stand)
    Yamaha DSP A3090 Amp
    EVO Center
    EVO One Fronts
    EVO Compact Rears

I dont have a sub yet - funds dont permit it at the moment.

Anyway, I have drafted up 3 layouts which I am considering. At the moment, I have my setup with the TV in the corner and left/right surrounds firing in from the side high up on the wall.

The problem is that I feel that distance between the Fronts and Rears is too small. I dont think I'm getting a large enough soundfield down to the speakers being so close and this also makes it hard to distinguish sound from the fronts with sound from the rears.

So I would appreciate you more knowledgeable guys giving me whatever feedback/comments you can on what I should do.

BTW in one of the layouts, where the listening position is marked as being the RUG. Most likely I will move one of the chairs around or get a bean bag or something.

One last thing, if anyone is interested. I knocked up the diagrams using Diagram Designer. This is freeware and freely available from www.download.com.

Thanks in advance guys.

Attached Files:

2. ukguy4672

ukguy4672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    50+ views and not a single comment...

come on guys, please help me out here!! :lease:

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    personally, i'd go with number 2........its not to different from my own layout (altho its a bedroom not a lounge, however it does have a chimney breast but a very shallow one)....

i would recommend perhaps moving the front speakers an extra foot or so outwards tho....

however this position means only the person on the chair in the listening position will enjoy it, not so bad if you have the 3 seater there, or a two seater...but for a single armchair its a little unfair...lol

in which case number 3 might prove better for when more people need to be watching and listening...

altho tbh a lot of people dont really care about the sound of a movie that much.....sounds silly but you'd be surprised just how little of their brain they devote to the aural side of things.....i value sound a lot more highly than image myself so i've spent a lot more money and effort on getting the sound right.....but the average person out there in the street is actually going to get more from a big detailed picture than a big detailed sound field...heh

edit: oh and get a sub when you can, makes a big difference...heh, well, so long as you get one worthwhile for the size of room...

4. ukguy4672

ukguy4672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    thanks knyght_byte!! :smashin:

It looks like I have some thinking (and possibly pleading) to do... the missus doesnt like it in position 2 and prefers the TV in the corner of all places!! typical :D

Personally, I myself was going to go with option 2 as its the simplest option and placement is ideal as the listening position will be nigh on dead center. I do like the idea of wall mounting but the chimney breast is not centrally located in the lounge... plus the other half has plans for that space.

I'll give it a go and see.

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    buy the other half something nice and shiny and say oh look dear, its a present for letting me put the hifi as i want it.......doesnt that work out well for both of us...*smooch*

etc

hehe

6. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    and I'm sure Knyght dosent mean a new SVS sub lol

7. ukguy4672

ukguy4672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    actually - her reaction would be interesting to say the least if i did :D

8. ukguy4672

ukguy4672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    oh yes... something which may not be obvious from the above diagrams is that there is a large bay window, indicated by the thick vertical line. So if I was to with option 2 and place the TV+fronts in front of the window - would this be ok? I'm just thinking about sunlight pouring in from behind the TV...

9. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    With a decent set of blinds or curtains it will be fine, although it can depend on when/where the sunlight is pouring through.

I had my last setup in the bay window, worked really well.

10. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    aye, when my parents went away i used to bring my speakers/amp setup down to the lounge (moreso to keep the cat company), didnt do it last time they went away tho cuz i got the projector now, didnt have any way to set up the screen down there..lol

but i would shift their TV in to the rather large 14ft wide, semi circle bay, its about 5ft deep too......then have my speakers either side and then add my other speakers around the room...lol.....worked a treat!...just kept the curtains shut all day long......hehe....altho if it was my own house i'd have blinds so i'd be able to let a little light in here and there...

to my mind its worse to have the sunlight shining on the TV than behind it...heh

11. ukguy4672

ukguy4672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    thanks for your input guys!! :smashin:

However, it looks like I am going to have to go with Option 1 (for the time being) with the TV in the corner and my rears mounted high up on the opposite wall in each corner. The other half was close to having a fit and no amount of bribery would get her to change her mind!! :)

Not to mention - she had backup in the form of my mother-in-law :rolleyes: :eek:

So for the time being, it will have to do. At least until I can get round to mounting the TV - which she is fine with.

I should still get a decent sound stage, right? I am planning on getting a Yammy RX-V659 which has YPAO - so that should take care of optimising the speakers for the best possible sound, shouldnt it?

12. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    If you manage to find your trousers... (few of us men seem to wear them from what I read on this forum :)) I would go for a variation on number 3 but I would place the TV to the left of the chimney, the LH speaker half way between the tv and the left wall and the right speaker on the right of the chimney. I think this would give you a nice wide sound stage and allow you to watch from the sofa. You can then toe-in the L&R to narrow the sound stage a bit if you prefer.

Depending on the rears you use (I don't know about yours) I prefer my surrounds on the back wall facing forward as it tends to give more impact from behind you, in which case I would have them on either end of the sofa... but that is personal preference I guess. :)

13. ukguy4672

ukguy4672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I had thought about this but then decided against it as the main left and right speakers would be an unequal distance from the center and the TV. I always thought that they had to be an equi-distance from the TV/centre?? Is this not the case?

I currently have EVO 3 Compacts which I know are getting on a bit now. How would you rate them? I was thinking about upgrading them to some di-pole speakers... as I keep reading how good they are at diffusing sound and giving a better "surround" experience compared to normal monopole speakers.

My surrounds would be on the back wall but facing in towards the listening position rather than forwards, just above ear level. I have read that this is the optimum position for them in a 5.1 speaker setup. Of course, with dipoles this may not be as important, correct?

I read one of your other replies where you suggested M&K surrounds - the column surrounds seem interesting and would save me having to mount them high up on the wall. My only question is - would they be as effective, since they are floorstanding, as mounting conventional monopoles/dipole speakers ??

14. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    In an ideal situation this is the optimum position but as long as you setup the amp correctly with sound levels and speaker distances the processor will take this into consideration. My own fronts are not equal distantances from the TV and it is has no noticeable effect on the sound. It is personal but I find sweeping effects from left to right benefit from a bit more distance between the left and right and TV.

I don't have any experience with the speakers you mention. I have only ever had Bipole and Tripole surrounds and have always found them really good at creating a 'gap-free' soundfield. They are also very forgiving of a less than ideal placement which is generally the case in most living rooms

This seems to be the accepted recommended position but as I said my personal preference is on the rear wall facing forward. At least that is where I had my little M&K Xenons and they sound fantastic there but they are tripole so the sound is directed to the sides as well. the best thing is to try what works best for you.

The Column surrounds have a forward firing mid/woofer near the floor and upward and sideways firing mid/tweeters. This means they work extremely well tucked behind your sofa. I am no expert but the Xenons I used before the columns were such an advance on my previous Mission 77DS I did not expect the Columns to be that great an improvement on them, but they really are fantastic. I think it is partly because they are so close to your ears and the fact the mid/woofer thumps you in the back makes the rear effect really believable.

Edit: I bought them on the recommendation of a few members with a lot more experience than me and they convinced me that at sensible(?) money they are among the best surrounds you can get.

The sound is very diffuse... I am embarassed to say I wrote a rave review on the Columns the other day and this morning realised one of the speakers wasn't even plugged in lol... not sure when this happened but I must have watched at least one film without noticing :rotfl:

bottom line you can't really go wrong with any of the M&K tripoles. If you are interested I will probably be selling the Xenons at some point. :)

15. ukguy4672

ukguy4672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    True. I'm not really an audiophile as such but am looking to bring the audio in my home setup close to the same standard as my video. So hopefully my new Yammy will take care of this for me with its YPAO - which I have read good things about.

I am the exact opposite to you and probably alot of other folk on here. I only have experience of monopole speakers and specifically B&W/AE EVO speakers. However, having read nothing but positive comments, I will definitely invest in some dipole/tripole surrounds.

The column surrounds seem perfect or maybe even the smaller MKII versions. Unfortunately, they are also quite expensive and if I am going to get any then I will have to start saving as of now. :D

M&Ks are also very good but expensive. I guess as with anything else, you get what you pay for. Are there any others you could recommend me which are not as expensive? If not, then I will make do for the time being and upgrade when I have the cash.

I read that review just now... nice :thumbsup: I am surprised that you didn't notice one of the speakers wasnt plugged in :D

I would have thought you would have "felt" it was missing when doing your review as they are right behind your sofa :rotfl:

Saying that, if you only had one plugged in sounded THAT awesome then with both plugged in - I can only imagine :eek:

Thanks for your input. I got alot of thinking (and saving) to do. So much choice, not really sure which way to go.

16. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,636
    hehe as I said I don't know when the speaker came unplugged, probably after the review as I could definately feel stuff all round me. I'll have to experiment again soon (speakers are all packed away atm due to renovation).

Adam