1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room layout - help required.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by nightsoil, May 2, 2005.

1. nightsoil

nightsoil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My living room is 6.1 metres long and 3.2 meters wide and the positioning of the doors and windows makes it hard to lay out the room so that:-

a) makes a good use of the space
    b) speaker and screen postions are OK
    c) makes it a comfortable space to use.

As you will see on the attached diagram, it's a long,thin room with windows at both ends and the doorway in the middle.

I haven't show the speaker positions, just the sub. Oh and I can lose the coffee table, plant and bookcase if needs be.

The first digram shows how it is now, but with the door between the sofas it just doesn't feel right... other pictures are just some ideas I have..

Any other suggestions (other than move house :nono: welcome) :D

Attached Files:

2. SimonMallion

SimonMallion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have to have the door?

Could you just turn it into an archway? If so, 1, 2 or 4 would be ideal.

3. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How wide is the room?

Another option, which might work well, is to have a blackout blind on one of the windows and have the plasma on a stand against the wall.

As I understand it, the generally preferred setup is to have a screen on the short wall, with front speakers firing down the length of the room. Having said that, I have a setup very similar to your 1st option (but without the door in the middle) and it works pretty well.

Another thing - you generally dont wanna put the sub in a corner.

Agree that replacing the door with archway would be neater. Or if you're particularly confident in the old DIY, fill up the door with bricks - and knock out a bit of wall somewhere else...!

Mat

4. nightsoil

nightsoil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the suggestions.. The room is approx 3.2 metres wide so I can barely get a two seat sofa sideways. I can't move the door as the hallway outside has a staircase and downstairs loo against the other side of the wall.

I could black out the window to the right of the room, but the larger window on the left is actually a patio door.

I suppose I could hang the living room door the other way round so it opens into the halllway - but it would be the only door that does it that way..

The room would have been much better if it was slightly wider I guess.

I'm going to take a look at my dining room as this is better 4*4 metre shape :D