Room layout and speaker choice.

peted42

Novice Member
Hi

I'm just starting to think about my home set up and will be looking to replace my sub in the not too distant future. Our lounge is 20ft x 14ft narrowing to 10ft for about half of it. There are two windows in the 20ft wall, one large in the wider part of the room on one wall with double doors on the opposite wall and then a smaller window at the other end.

We currently have our TV on a bracket in the corner by the large window and have Focal Chorus 705v bookshelf speakers as fronts and surrounds which have been put on wall brackets with a cc700V centre speaker. The sub isn't quite right since the kids forced as many toys as they could into the port on it.

Without waffling too much, my questions really at this point are about speaker locations and any recommendations on a subwoofer to replace what we currently have. I see the BK Monolith seems to get raved about but I think it will be pushing the budget a bit too far, I think up to about £250-£300 would be OK but really would need a great argument to push things much further.

Any input would be appreciated.

peted42

Novice Member
Thanks for that, down firing would make sense. I will take a look at the BK Electronics website again and look in more detail at the two options you mention. Does anyone have any experience of the two mentioned subs and the differences? One thing with the BK subs is they look like they are direct only and therefore difficult to get a demonstration.

twoeyedbob

Dont have any personal experience of the 2 bk models mentioned but they have a good reputation and are well regarded on here...you'll struggle to get better for the money..

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
The BK XLS-200 has a 10 inch bass driver, and the BK XXLS-400 has a 12" bass driver. For most people in most rooms the XLS-200 10" is fine. The XLS-200 has response down to 17hz which is well below human hearing. Further the XLS-200 is £315, which seems to hit your budget right on the money.

Many people in the UK on this forum and a few people in the EU, have these Subs, there are certainly better Subs out there if you happen to have a huge pile of money, but for people trying to maximize their budget, it is hard to do better than BK for the price.

Steve/bluewizard

peted42

Novice Member
BK it is then and the XLS200 sounds like the way to go, I have been reading some more of the threads on here as well and haven't yet seen any negative comments about it. In fact, when I say I haven't seen any negative comments I actually mean that everyone seems to love it.

Thanks for the advice.

Pete

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Be aware that there is a forum just for Subwoofers. I'm sure you'll find lots of comment there on BK Subs, and I'm sure they are open to question. Though I doubt that the BK XLS-200 can be beat for £315.

Subwoofers | AVForums

Steve/bluewizard

peted42

Novice Member
I wasn't 100% sure where to post , I was thinking about asking about speakers when I first posted but then got the sub in my mind. I have since gone for a second hand monolith plus, one came up second hand that is down firing and in the oak finish and fitted my budget. So far I am impressed and will be able to spend some time on the settings this weekend.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom