Room Gain

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by hoppaz, Feb 23, 2014.

1. hoppaz

hoppaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Does anyone ever think about the free benefit of room gain before designing their sub?

I have been thinking about using the room as a benefit and to this end I will be looking to re-design my subs with a new design to make use of this free benefit.

To give eveyone an idea you aparently take 565 and devide this by the feet measurement of your longest wall dimension to give you the hz you need to start to arrive at gaining room benefit.

2. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Wow!! that sounds like to much work why not just add another sub or two or three;)

3. hoppaz

hoppaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    They cost money Mojo this is free if you get it right and also takes up no extra space

4. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,494
    all you are doing there is calculating the lowest room mode (the 1st axial mode), you then have to determine the actual response at the listening position given a sub in target locations which may mean you sit in a null rather than a peak. The actual amount of room gain across the frequency range varies with positioning & how the room is constructed. I'm not saying you can't factor this in to a design, just that I don't understand how what you posted does that.

5. hoppaz

hoppaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    what if I know the room, the listening position and have control over the position of the sub?

6. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,494
    then you can model the expected response if your room is a regular shape, check out @KelvinS1965 's thread for an example of doing that.