1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Room for projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ken, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How large a room is required for a decent crt?
    Is a high ceiling a neccessity, and what distance from a 100" screen would it need to be mounted?
    Any input will be most helpful.
    Ken

2. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Ken
    my room size is 12ft6 by 9ft wide and the ceiling height is 9ft, i have a barco bg808 on to a 6ft screen.Mine is a dedicated cinema room so height would not be an issue for me.however unless u have reasonably high ceilings especially if it is say your living area u may experience problems.

6ft image is roughly the best i can get bearing in mind the pj is about 3 1/2 foot in length.

hope this helps

richard
    thanks for the computer info i am computer illeterate can u run through to create a new folder and copy/paste the .exe file to it.

cheers
    ken

3. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Richard, you have mail.

My cinema room is my living room. My ceiling is 8' high, my seating area is 12' from the screen, and 3' from the rear wall.
    What concerns me is if I was to install, say a Barco 808data, which I would dearly love to do, would I feel like it was sitting on my head.
    Ken

4. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ken,

My ceiling is 8ft (a fairly standard height) and I have an 808 up no problem. The projector and bracket together are about 18 inches, so if you're under 6'6 you'll be OK for head clearance.

Rob.

5. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Rob,

At what distance from a 2m wide screen to the lenses, would a 808 need to be mounted?

Ken

6. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ken,

Projector distance for a 2 metre wide screen would be 2.88 metres from screen to the projector mount.

To calculate the distance you should multiply the screen width (2 metres in this case) X 1.269 + 0.344. This will give you 2.882 metres.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Ken you have to see one of these chaps to appreciate how large they are and then only you can say if it is accepable.

A 2m wide screen will put the back of the projector about 14ft from the screen. Which if you allow the remaining ft for PJ breathing sounds good.

Youir viewing possition sounds about right for an 8ft screen too.

Have you actually seen an 808 though?

8. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Rob
    Thanks Roland

To answer your question Roland, I have not seen one of these beasts, except in photos.
    Is there anywhere that I could see one of these that you know of. I am in Stoke-on-Trent.
    The positioning is where I would have wanted it by the sounds of it.
    How noisey are they?
    Ken

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ken,
    I would rate the 808 as one of the quite ones.
    Believe me, there are CRT's out there that sound like aircraft taking off. Case in point, Sony 1292.

My screen size is 87"x49" (Studiotek 130 material) which is by and large a perfect size for an 8 incher (in my opinion).
    Video guru's like Joe Kane state that 7ft wide is the max for any CRT. One of the main doubters of the 7ft wide statement was Sam Runco and even he's converted.
    Of course, many people ignore this and use larger screens but at a cost. One of the penaltys being loss of overall brightness. Some counter this with higher gain screens but again this costs. Amongst other things, hotspotting, and reduced viewing angles come to mind.

The 808 is a big beast to have in your living room. Off the top of my head, its around a metre long by over half a meter wide. I had to build a room for mine. My 808s is on the ceiling which is the ideal location. Floor mounted monsters like this take up valuable real estate and always get the best seat in the house.
    Remember also that the further away it is from the viewer, the less noise you will hear. (another plus for Ceiling position)
    Its also out of harms way (if you have kids, you will know what I mean)

Eric

10. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If your room is 15 feet deep you should have no problem with space & air circulation. If the projector is mounted where it should be, you will have a good 2 feet behind before the wall. Ceiling mounted was definetly the way to go for me. Out of harms way, and doesn't take up any space. Another problem with floor mounting is that the projector is usually just where you want to sit.

Rob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.