• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Room EQ?

pws

Prominent Member
Hi All,

I have an AV32R SP and was wondering if I can add the room EQ to it.

I use a Velodyne SMS 1 for the sub and the only thing I can think next to upgrade is to room EQ.

I'm happy with the AV32 so dont want to swap it out but will upgrade it if possible.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers

Paul

Last edited:

dazsti

Established Member
You can upgrade to a dual processor in theory, but the last i heard is IAG have no motherboards available plus it was a very expensive upgrade:(

your options would probably be
1. Find a second hand av32dp
2. Room treatment -ie real traps or gik panels
3. Outboard processing like Audyssey Sound Equalizer

btw have you tested your room using REW? do you have nasty peaks and dips in the full range?

Last edited:

redmax

Established Member
I am in exactly the same position as the OP.
I do not however have the resources to upgrade even if i want to.

I would however like to squeeze every ounce of perfomence out of my trusty AV32R.

What is this REW?

Is it software, if so where do I get it?

Thanks

pws

Prominent Member
Hi,

Loathed to part with my 23r as it was a HUGE jump over the original Yammy DSP A1 and its solid...never missed a beat.

I havent done REW but have EQ'd the sub using the Velodyne SMS 1 and its this improvement that makes me think of the rest of the system

The offboard kit is expensive at the mo so I'll wait a few years till theres more of them and the price has reduced.

Not bothered by HD Audio at the mo as the TAG stuff is stunning and I doubt I'd get the same upgrade to HD in my current budget :)

Thanks for the reply...gonna start saving for the offboard Audessy unit

Cheers

Paul

dazsti

Established Member
What is this REW?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Room eq wizard-you can find info on this forum and others, it is software and mainly used (by non DP owners) for controlling subwoofers in conjuction with a behringer feedback destroyer/eq, it can also used for speaker placment and a general view of your in room acoustics. The Tag AV32RDP has this feature built in!
All you need is a computer, spl meter or mic and some leads:smashin:

Last edited:

redmax

Established Member
What is this REW?

Thanks

Room eq wizard-you can find info on this forum and others, it is software and mainly used (by non DP owners) for controlling subwoofers in conjuction with a behringer feedback destroyer/eq, it can also used for speaker placment and a general view of your in room acoustics. The Tag AV32RDP has this feature built in!
All you need is a computer, spl meter or mic and some leads:smashin:[/quote]

Thnaks

Will I be able to improve the sound from my AV32R SP?

Although I have only looked briefly on the REW homepage it looks complicated.
Do I need to be techno expert in acoustics to do it properly?:)

dazsti

Established Member
No you don't have to be an expert in acoustics it took me two nights and alot of headscratching/messing around the first time i tried rew, now i can set it up in 5 mins, i'm no expert but i have an understanding of it!-this thread is a good place to start-
http://www.avforums.com/forums/subwoofers/728289-tuning-your-subwoofer-rew-how-6.html#post6665479

REW alone will not make your av32r sound better it needs to be used in conjuction with speaker placement, listening position, room treatments and with a BFD for subwoofer tuning, this is similar to what pws has done with his subwoofer
re-"I havent done REW but have EQ'd the sub using the Velodyne SMS 1 and its this improvement that makes me think of the rest of the system"
You can use a bfd with a full range signal but it would be inferior to your av32r sound, so best to use it @ 200hz and below, i belive the Audyssey is the only (decent) way you can get full range equalization on a non dp av32r.
hope this helps-
darren

pws

Prominent Member
Now...this may be the most stupid thing I've ever posted so be gentle.

I even concidered getting a cheap Oknyo with audessy and outputing the AV32r into it and out again to the amp to use it as room eq....

But then I'd be adding something into the loop and with potentailly less purity than what I started with.

Like I said...it was just a thought..

I'm now leaving the systems as it is as I'm happy. Just need to curb my urge to tweak :)

dazsti

Established Member
Now...this may be the most stupid thing I've ever posted so be gentle.

I even concidered getting a cheap Oknyo with audessy and outputing the AV32r into it and out again to the amp to use it as room eq....

lol it's not stupid pws it's a theory what might work? i think the Onkyo TXSR876 and upwards have a optical (loop through) out to send to the AV32r, so you could go DVD32r coax out to Onkyo, Onkyo optical out to AV32R in,
but i don't know if it would apply the audessy processed signal to the output, maybe someone has tried it on here?- Anyone???

pws

Prominent Member
it could work if the EQ'd sound is outputed out of the onkyo...but...would the Tag Sync work?
Would it be so afr off due to adding the new amp in line it may not work...and then the lip sync...

HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM:D

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom