Room dimensions

scott88m14

Hi guys

My garage was converted in to an office many years ago but now I'm wanting it to be a dedicated cinema room.
I already have the speakers, amplifier, I just need to purchase a projector and audio transparent screen.

The main question I'm wondering about is that is the room big enough?
The dimensions are:
Width : 8.4ft
Length : 15ft
Height: 7.8ft

Obviously I know it's better than nothing at all but just curious about your opinions.

Many Thanks

inzaman

I’d say yes, the length is a good enough throw for a projector and I’d look at 7.1.4 as you could bring the seating forward?

scott88m14

Yes, the room is basically empty so it's good to start getting furniture in etc.
I was more concerned about the width of the room but when I think back it's very close to what I had in my old cinema room.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
How many people will be watching films at the same time?

I’d say yes, the length is a good enough throw for a projector and I’d look at 7.1.4 as you could bring the seating forward?
With the narrow width, at what angle do you think you'd put the side surrounds?

scott88m14

This is the reason I'm sticking with 5.1.4.
Mainly it will be myself and occasionally the Mrs. (she doesn't appreciate AV ) lol

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
This is the reason I'm sticking with 5.1.4.
Mainly it will be myself and occasionally the Mrs. (she doesn't appreciate AV ) lol
If it's mainly just you, my guess is that 7.1.4 would actually be better, because you'll be a bit further from the side speakers - and ideally I'd suggest bipoles or dipoles on the side. And then I'd keep the rears fairly close to each other.

inzaman

How many people will be watching films at the same time?

With the narrow width, at what angle do you think you'd put the side surrounds?
I am at 10ft wide by 10ft deep and shoehorned 7.1.4 so worth a try IMO. The main listening position I.e. mainly myself is good for me. But if the op is happy with 5.1.4 then for sure that would also work.
as for overall size of the room go for it, it’s a nice throw for a pj and you should be able to maximise screen size.

scott88m14

I am at 10ft wide by 10ft deep and shoehorned 7.1.4 so worth a try IMO. The main listening position I.e. mainly myself is good for me. But if the op is happy with 5.1.4 then for sure that would also work.
as for overall size of the room go for it, it’s a nice throw for a pj and you should be able to maximise screen size.
Thank you for your feedback, you have confirmed what I was hoping for.
As I already have the speakers etc for 5.1.4 I'll set this up initially but incorporate the extra 2chs in the design/layout for a potential upgrade once finished and settled.

Are there any particular projectors you would recommend that would use the space to its full potential?
I'd prefer something mid range to help the pocket out and because I personally get more enjoyment from the sound.

Many thanks.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Are there any particular projectors you would recommend that would use the space to its full potential? I'd prefer something mid range to help the pocket out and because I personally get more enjoyment from the sound.
Well 'full potential' means no limited budget. Projectors go from hundreds to many thousands, and then video processors of many more thousands added too. If your budget is really limited, you'll find something that will do a nice job. But if you can spend a generous amount (and we'll encourage you too :laugh:) then your image will be even better.

So just let us know what you can spend, and we'll make recommendations.

Last edited:

scott88m14

Well 'full potential' means no limited budget. Projectors go from hundreds to many thousands, and then video processors of many more thousands added too. If your budget is really limited, you'll find something that will do a nice job. But if you can spend a generous (and we'll encourage you too :laugh:) then your image will be even better.

So just let us know what you can spend, and we'll make recommendations.
Hahah how did I know this was coming. 😂
Ideally I'd be happy to spend up to 2k, I know this is cheap compared to a lot of you guys but I don't think i could justify spending more.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Hahah how did I know this was coming. 😂
Ideally I'd be happy to spend up to 2k, I know this is cheap compared to a lot of you guys but I don't think i could justify spending more.
Although plenty do spend a lot more, 2k is a really nice budget. You'll get a great projector for that (or close to it).

You get more bang for your buck with used gear, but this is especially true for projectors. If that's an option for you, I'd suggest researching:
Espon LS10000 laser
Espon LS10500 laser
JVC X5900
JVC X7900

The Epson 9400 is also a very good projector, and if you're looking new, you might want to consider that. It's not as good as the projectors above, but it's rrp was about £2,500 a few years ago. It would probably be a lot cheaper now but for the stock shortages caused by covid. But your room isn't ready, so if you're buying new, I'd wait until the room is finished, as I'd hope prices come down at some point, or technology advances.

scott88m14

Yeah I would be open to second hand too, will definitely give those projectors a look. I feel like a little child at Christmas.lol
Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to order the wood for the stud walls so I can get the project going.
Thanks for the projector ideas, I'll have great fun researching these now.
Any suggestions on audio transparent screens to fit the dimensions?

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Yeah I would be open to second hand too, will definitely give those projectors a look. I feel like a little child at Christmas.lol
Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to order the wood for the stud walls so I can get the project going.
Thanks for the projector ideas, I'll have great fun researching these now.
Yeah do, I certainly did. Check out the main owners thread for each, as well as online reviews etc.

Any suggestions on audio transparent screens to fit the dimensions?
The best screen for you could be affected by your seating distance, but check out the Seymour Center Stage UF:
I wouldn't be surprised if that's the ideal screen for your needs.

scott88m14

Honestly I really appreciate your help on this. I'm hoping to start the work on the room this week so fingers crossed it won't be too long until it's complete.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Honestly I really appreciate your help on this. I'm hoping to start the work on the room this week so fingers crossed it won't be too long until it's complete.
You're very welcome. You say it'll mainly be you, and occasionally the Mrs - is it just the two of you in the house, or is there/could there be more?

I ask, because of the annoying necessity for many of us of sound-proofing. When you're watching, will anyone else be in an adjacent room, or a room nearby? Sound-proofing is a pain, expensive, but a requirement for those who want to watch at fair volume whilst others are nearby. But maybe you're circumstances will mean it's not worth the bother.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom