1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

room dimensions question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by lonestar, Oct 31, 2005.

1. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hello all,

my wife and i are about to embark on the 'joy' of a selfbuild house project, and i am planning on a cinema room to be part of it, so there'll be lots of questions over the next few months.

first out of the blocks, is a question about room dimensions, i am planning on projecting onto an eight foot screen, actual projector model to be decided at a later date, so what would the ideal room size be to support a screen of this size?

thanks.

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    If i had a choice on the size of room i would probably go for something along the lines of 12ftx15ft-17ft to keep it sensible. This way not only will you get the screen width you desire but you will be able to have the seating about 12ft from the screen and have two discrete channels behind you for 7.1.

With this length of room you will also have an excellent choice of projectors to select from, good luck with the build :) .

It will be interesting to read other members comments on room size as well.

3. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for that inzaman, so the screen would be put on the 12ft wall?

4. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I read in one of the hi-fi mags a couple of years ago (may have been HCC) that the ideal size ratio for a HC room was 2:3:5 as this best for sound reproduction, cutting down on reflections, standing waves etc..

Not sure if this is still current or if things have moved on from there though.

I'm planning a self build myself, just a few planning issues to resolve and hope to start building in the spring. My HC room will be 2.3m x 4m using a 2m wide screen.

5. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    My new room (won't be ready for a month though) is 4.5x3m which is just big enough for 3 leather recliners. I'm planning to use 5 Tannoy S8Cs and a Sony SA-WX900 sub and also have an 8' screen and it's already a bit of compromise fitting it all in.

I think the ideal size depends what kit you want and how many seats. My room would look very spacious if I bought some Kef Eggs and took one of the seats out.

6. lonestar

lonestar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i like the idea of having floor standers, with the front centre, as my front sound stage, and can appreciate that the final room size will be dictated by the projector i choose.

as this is all at the conceptual stage, i am playing around with room sizes, 1.to see what i can get away with size-wise, 2.what an ideal size is.

like most things in life, ultimately cost will be the deciding factor.

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Yes thats what i would do.