Room depth for front speakers

Benji CC

Standard Member
Hey all,

I'm doing my first major home cinema set up. I've done really well with self research and not burdening forums but I am a bit stuck with one aspect.

Below is a picture of where my new projector screen is going to go. I'm putting a 5.1.2 system in with it too. I decided to go for a projector as obviously I can't put a TV over that door and frankly I've always wanted a 100" screen! So anyway, my slight dilemma is my screen is not acoustically transparent and I want to hang the screen 45cm from the rear wall so I can hang shelves (you can see one of them on the floor to the right) behind the screen when it is down.

This raises an issue as I'm planning on attaching my centre speaker to a bit of wood on runners on the shelf so I can pull it into place when the door is locked and screen is down and then tuck it back in when everything is off. This means the speaker will be about 30-35cm from the front wall and 10cmish behind (but below) the screen. I have already made peace that my centre speaker cannot be ear height.

As I have another door on the left where the left speaker should go my front left and right speakers will have to be mounted about 90cm from the front wall or flush on the front wall and thus behind and to the side of the screen.

Finally my Atmos speakers can either go flush against the wall to the left and right of the screen or I could pull them forward and fix them on the side walls on shelves to the left and right of either the screen or directly above the front left and right speakers at 90cm.

In summary my screen will be about 45cm from the front wall, my centre will be slightly too low and about 30cm from the front wall, my front left and rights will be 90cm from the wall and my Atmos speakers could either be flush or with some effort match something else.

I'd be grateful for any opinions on this. Would it be a complete cluster and produce terrible sound? If I put the Atmos speakers against the wall will the distance to the screen cause interference with the primary listening position 3m away? If it's generally accepted that this won't work at all then I could just hang one shelf as that would be low enough to go below the screen when it's fully out.

Grateful for any thoughts!

P_20201212_093531.jpg

password1

Distinguished Member
You can mount speakers close to the wall. sealed or front ported would in theory be better. If you dont have space go for shallow or smaller speakers.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Can you show the layout of the whole room? Why does the screen have to go on that wall?
Finally my Atmos speakers can either go flush against the wall to the left and right of the screen or I could pull them forward and fix them on the side walls on shelves to the left and right of either the screen or directly above the front left and right speakers at 90cm.
Atmos speakers go on the ceiling. Why are you looking to put them on walls?

I'd be grateful for any opinions on this. Would it be a complete cluster and produce terrible sound?
I'm sure you can come up with something that will work.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom