Room correction with Active Speakers

deeter

Standard Member
Hi all,

Sorry for the bone question, but is it possible to use room correction such as RoomPerfect or Dirac with an active like Elac Navis ARB 51? Do streamers (without amps) come with room correction? My room at home won't be conducive to good acoustics (i believe) so am keen to have a system that gives me room correction for the best chance of good sound.

Thanks again for all your advise.

jamieu

Hi all,

Sorry for the bone question, but is it possible to use room correction such as RoomPerfect or Dirac with an active like Elac Navis ARB 51? Do streamers (without amps) come with room correction? My room at home won't be conducive to good acoustics (i believe) so am keen to have a system that gives me room correction for the best chance of good sound.

Thanks again for all your advise.

You can certainly get 2 channel streamers (and multi channel processors) with Dirac built in.
Or you could just use the stereo pre-outs on a traditional 2 channel amplifier or multi channel AVR, that included room correction, effectively bypassing the power amp stage. That might seem like a waste, but it may work out as the cheaper option depending on what Room Correction system and digital sources you want to use. Most 5.1 AVR’s include some form of Room EQ and basic network streaming services along with stereo pre-outs, so that could be a budget route to getting a single unit with Room EQ.
You can also get standalone Dirac supporting devices, that sit between a standard network streamer or bridge (like a BlueSound Node, Sonos Port, Chromecast Audio, Airport Express or an ELAC-Discovery-Connect) and your active speakers and only handles the Room Correction part.
If you’re not tied to ELAC then there are active speakers manufactures that include their own Room Correction systems built into the digital sections of their active speakers. Which will reduce box count, cables and allow you to use any network streamer or source you like. There may also be additional benefits as the software will likely be tailored to their speaker range allowing things like rolloff filters to be automatically set as part of the configuration/calibration.
If your playback sources are 100% digital and your playback software can be installed on a computer you could do the Room EQ in software on that same machine and then output directly to your active speakers (if they have a digital input) or via a USB DAC (if they only have analogue inputs). Either using a standalone Room EQ software like Dirac Live, Sonarworks or IKM Arc 3 — or a player like Roon with built in programmable/parametric EQ. Even if you’re looking for a dedicated hardware streamer, trying out a standalone, software based, room correction package (on a PC or Mac first) may be a good way to test whether it’s worth investing further in.
If you're up for some DIY you could build your own RPi based streamer running HiFiBerryOS which provides support for basic Auto Room EQ when using their DSP board and a USB mic. It's won't compete with Dirac or RoomPerfect in terms of features, but for basic Room EQ it may be all you need.
Some of it will come down to which services you need a network streamer to support ie. do you need the streamer to support a particular streaming service or protocol, or the management of a local music library, do you need it to support multi-room playback? Are you looking to use a particular controller app? These are questions when choosing any network streamer, but given the additional requirement of room correction it may dictate which path to take.

Another consideration will be around the box count ie. do you get an all-in-one streamer/processor with in-built Room EQ ie. Dirac/RoomPerfect/Audyssey/ARC or buy a standalone device to handle Room EQ alongside a cheaper streamer/network bridge, or even look towards active speakers with their own built in Room EQ system. If using a computer based music player/app do you (and can you) just do the Room EQ in software.

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Yes to the original question.

It’s easy, and well worth the effort.

There’s not much I can add to jamieu’s post.

A budget would help to isolate your best choice.

And how big a box you’re prepared to put up with.

The very best value I’ve ever seen fir Dirac room correction is the Arcam SR250.

Even for active speakers that will never use the excellent power amps.

The SR 250 has a pair of preouts from its excellent preamp stage, and subwoofer outputs too, should you ever feel the need for subs.

This one for instance is going to sell for less than £600.

That’s about the price of a MiniDSP 24 imported with a mic.

But, obviously, the Arcam has tons more inputs.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Anthems ARC Genesis room correction is also excellent for actives, and the preamps are very good too.

Forget the fact that this is an AV receiver.

All you’d be using would be the inputs you need and the left and right preouts connected to the Elacs, and ARC Genesis.

An excellent and very inexpensive way to get room correction of top class calibre.

rccarguy2

Is there more affordable room correction device?

Source is squeezebox digital out...
Stereo dac...
Stereo analogue pre amp...
Into Poweramp..

Also pre amp into stereo analogue pre amp

Where would I place the box? Between pre and power?

Is there something bit more affordable than £700?

SoundNoob08

Novice Member
Would like to jump in on this question related to the Elacs / Dirac
1. Running NAD658 streamer with Dirac
2. Elac ARB51 Lf/Rt
3. Balanced SLR cables from source to speakers.

Prior to running Dirac for room correction do I set the speaker toggles (LF EQ/MF EQ/HP Filter) to +1/0/-1?

In other words…leave everything flat and let Dirac correct or can I +1 or -1 where I like prior to Dirac room correction.

Hear Here

My room at home won't be conducive to good acoustics (i believe) so am keen to have a system that gives me room correction for the best chance of good sound.
Why do you think your room acoustics are so poor you need room correction? Is it a new property with little by way of furnishings, carpets, curtains, etc or are you concerned about its shape / size? What speakers are you using?

I had serious reservations with my own new living room and indeed the acoustics were pretty poor. However, adding furniture, carefully placed carpets and curtains has made a huge difference, to the extent that RoomPerfect, Dirac Live and MARS (the 3 RC systems I have actually used) resulted in less emotionally engaging sound than with no RC filter. Careful choice and placement of speakers and setting up (toe-in, etc) are vital and will offer bigger dividends than chucking RC at the "problem". Do all this first and resort to RC as a desparate (and maybe costly) last move if all this fails.

SoundNoob08

Novice Member
I don’t think room acoustics are so poor that I “need” room correction. This is a technical question as to ”how” Dirac interprets the performance of the speakers and if the settings on the back of the Elacs have any impact on how Direc “hears“ the sound. If you don’t know…that is ok.

Hear Here

I don’t think room acoustics are so poor that I “need” room correction. This is a technical question as to ”how” Dirac interprets the performance of the speakers and if the settings on the back of the Elacs have any impact on how Direc “hears“ the sound. If you don’t know…that is ok.
I think others have answered that aspect of your question very comprehensively. I was trying to save you the cost of adding a piece of equipment that may be unnecessary. Your budget could possibly be better used for other improvements. Just my three-ha'penny worth!

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member

The Dirac software will make a frequency response that resembles the HK curve, regardless of your initial speaker settings.

For those without room correction the + and - alterations on active speakers are useful for positioning issues.

Bit for the likes of Dirac, RP and ARC they are simply unnecessary. The room correction will be more useful by far.

Ps, it’s not simply the frequency curve they tend to, Dirac for instance deals with phase response and impulse response.

I’ve never heard a room that couldn’t benefit from room correction. Regardless of how awesome the owner of the hifi thought it was.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom