• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Room colour for Big Screen Plasma room?

Stump

Standard Member
Can anyone with a BIG SCREEN PLASMA tell me if room colour can affect the picture quality in a similar way as a home projector room. Eamonn

Silver Serpent

Can anyone with a BIG SCREEN PLASMA tell me if room colour can affect the picture quality in a similar way as a home projector room. Eamonn

Yes, room colour can affect how you perceive colour on any display.

Colours in the field of view should be neutral (white, through grey, to black), whilst nearly neutral colours are allowed elsewhere in the environment.

People usually opt for grey walls. Ceiling could be kept grey, but a slightly darker shade than the walls, or you could even opt for a black ceiling. Black walls aren't really recommended for direct view displays though.

A 6500k lightsource behind the display would also be ideal.

Last edited:

popey

Yes, room colour can affect how you perceive colour on any display.

Colours in the field of view should be neutral (white, through grey, to black), whilst nearly neutral colours are allowed elsewhere in the environment.

A 6500k lightsource behind the display would also be ideal.

Could you give me an everyday example of this light, not sure what 6500k is. Thanks

Silver Serpent

That link isn't displaying correctly, but I think I know the ones you are on about.

I bought 2 6500k bulbs from them about a year ago, but it's highly unlikely they'll function as advertised.

Comparing the illumination from those bulbs to that of the ideal lume, it was slightly blue, whereas the ideal lume was white.

The Ideal Lumes are your best choice for accuracy (to my knowledge), and the Standard and Panelights are 13W each.

Silver Serpent

Thanks, this might do the trick then

Fluorescent T5 13 watt Daylight

It's unlikely it will be 6500k, and you won't know what it is really unless you are able to measure it.

It also doesn't state the Colour Rendering Index, which should be a minimum of 90.

There is a light block film around the tube of the ideal lume, plus a baffle tube, so can adjust the amount of light hitting the wall, which should be no more than 10% of the brightest white your display has been calibrated to.

You may find the 13w bulb in the link you provided to give too much light, as it will be uncontrollable.

popey

No cheap option then, my TV is also in a corner so will that effect the light scatter.

Silver Serpent

No cheap option then, my TV is also in a corner so will that effect the light scatter.

It may do, depends on your situation really.

If I was you, I'd just put a lamp with a low watt bulb in it, behind the display.

How bright you need it will probably depend on how dark/light coloured your walls are.

By the way, I do still prefer daylight bulbs over the typical ones that throw off yellowish light.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom