Rookie Needs Projector Advice...thanks in advance!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BlackMountain, Apr 25, 2007.

1. BlackMountain

BlackMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a total AV rookie. I watch TV and like TV, but I've never really been INTO them. So, any help would be much appreciated.

I have an office at home that I want to get a TV for. I'm debating between a low end HD LCD (37" Olevia for $600 at Fry's or whatever), OR, a projector.

I know there are many factors to consider, but I'm hoping some of you will have some feedback for me.

The room is about 16' x 13' or so, I'd be sitting at the long end projecting up onto a wall that is about 8' high, by 8' wide. I'd be sitting about 14' from the "screen".

Questions:

1. I know this is totally subjective, but I prefer a large picture over a smaller higher-quality picture...and I'm wondering what you all think of a somewhat low end projector...like in the $500-800 range? Can you recommend one?

2. Is HD with a projector even possible? If so, how much would I be looking at in terms of $?

3. I know the image wouldn't be perfect, but for what I'd use it for (watching news while in my office, watching CNBC in the morning, sports games, etc), can I just project it up onto the wall without doing anything special?

Thank you in advance for your help!