1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rookie HTPC Problems...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by padend, May 5, 2004.

1. padend

padend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realized the other day that my video card has a DVI output and my TV has a DVI input and decided to venture into HTPC land. Having some issues though.

The video card is an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. The TV is a Hitachi 65XWX20B.

When I first plugged it in, the only option I had was 640x480. I did some reading here and installed Powerstrip. Still no luck. When I try any higher resolutions, it's flickery and about 20% of the display is chopped off all the way around. My TV goes into 1080i mode, but it just doesn't work. I've tried tweaking interlaced/non-interlaced...refresh rates...resolutions...can't figure it out. It's very possible I'm not using the software properly too. I had it write a custom display driver to support the higher resolutions. I don't know if that's the right thing to do.

Is it even possible to get a clear 1920x1080 display given the hardware?

Thank you for any help!

2. padend

padend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I got the flicker to go away and 98% of the screen is showing now. It's just super blurry now.

Gonna keep tweaking...

3. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Padend
    Looking at the specs for that set it is HDTV compatible, and can take 480p and 720p, so if you select from the standard HDTV options in powerstrip then you should be off to a good start, however what actually delivers the best picture will require some experimentation..good luck!