Roof space IB for dedicated cinema room.

You have a cracking space to work in Johnny. You should see my loft, talk about crammed conditions :eek:.... Keep the pic's coming. :smashin:

When do you think the 'Launch' date will be?

It,s only like it is matey 'cos its only a few years old extension :laugh: , tomorrow i'll take a pic of the main roof space over the house thats had about fourty years of things collected, stock piled, junk etc.... it's a big difference :eek:
Should have this manifold running by the weekend or before, iv'e been meaning to set up the two drivers and give them some running in time with tones but haven't managed it yet

I think I would screw a timber strap across the cut joist very near or right up against the manifold. Just as a belt and braces reinforcement for the missing timber.

I'd probably use a bit of 6" x 2" (50 x 150) laid flat to reach across the three ceiling joists. Fixed with several 4" hex-head roofing screws per joist. Preferably with washers under the heads to avoid pull through. Pre-drill to avoid splitting and the need for excessive torque.

Somebody might stand on the that joist and crack the ceiling. The hole is a weak point even with that pretty box in place. Or you could use a broader plate of thick plywood. Use more but shorter screws. But not MDF! It has no strength.

Even if they didn't stand on that that cut joist it may want to vibrate due to a lack of support at the cut end. Might as well play safe and it won't cost you anything.

Looking great so far. :smashin:

So, the next stage ...... the problem: someone has put a joist in the way :eek:

The solution: get the saw out :smashin: The joist being cut by the way has been supported and re-fixed to the left of the pic out of shot. The section cut out of the joist is the exact width of the exterior measurement of the manifold so the manifold will be tied in to the cut joist ends as well

Lol , I can just visualise you now cutting them joists , then the next thing you know your downstairs in a cloud of dust lol, great work though .
When you doing auditions lol

Have faith my son :D
Jobs all done now Chris, drivers have been on 20hz soak since 10 o'clock last night, surrounding walk board in the loft has been re-instated around manifold so have just got to cut through the ceiling plasterboard for the manifold mouth into the room. Going to give the glue on the manifold another 24hrs before i start installing the drivers and letting them loose. By that time all four drivers will have had about the same run time so should be a fairly matched pair of manifolds. I'll put a couple of pics up later.:smashin:

Both manifolds now done, second manifold will be fitted with drivers tomorrow.
Drivers now sat on final 20hz soak session :smashin:

Attachments

• both manifolds.jpg
    both manifolds.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 135
  • drivers on 20hz soak.jpg
    drivers on 20hz soak.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Finished manifold...jpg
    Finished manifold...jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Finished manifold..jpg
    Finished manifold..jpg
    130 KB · Views: 140
Progress so far up to Saturday 25th .....
Loft work 95% complete, both manifolds functional, done a quick eq with Antimode . Proper room testing to follow. The new Antimode dual core will be in control of the manifolds once that gets released. Need to educate myself a bit more on the use of REW before i can test propper and offer up some accurate info on the room response.
Just a few pics to show current loft state.

Attachments

• Finished manifolds, a.Saturday..jpg
    Finished manifolds, a.Saturday..jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Finished manifolds, b.Saturday..jpg
    Finished manifolds, b.Saturday..jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 196
  • Finished manifolds, Saturday..jpg
    Finished manifolds, Saturday..jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 154
That looks like amazing work Johnny - I cant wait to see the graphs and your opinions once it running properly.

The Antimode dual core looks like a beast too. :)

Wow that looks absolutely amazing, drivers facing the oppersit way round just look so cool.

Would be great if you could post some REW waterfall graphs pretty please ;)

Thanks for the comments chaps.... About some rew plots, well I've been following Ash's exploits and it looks a right carfuffle to get it right lol. I'm supposed to be a bit clever being a self employed sparky but this rew business looks more difficult than doing the 17th regs course or solar panel course lol. Anybody who is ofay with it is most welcome to pop over and have a play. Are you any closer to cracking it Ash

If you just follow the youtube videos Johnny and you know you have your drivers set you correctly 'use a 9v battery' I can not see you having a problem using REW.

Just need to remember you are running a Sub not full range, this is easily changed in the REW program prefferences.

1/3 smoothing REW - Google Search

Thanks for the confidence builder Wull, i'll have a gander at that link :smashin:

The new REW 5 software is very good "I just make things look difficult" ;))
As you may have read in my post it was obvious to see I had one amp out of phase "well not to me but Adam" ;)
Do you have a USB external sound card ? Creative Labs do one for about £25 if not less.
SPL metre with an RCA output, USB cable A and B connector, optical or SPDIF Coax cable.
And a laptop :) running REW.

The Shack has a very good manual so you will be fine.
It's very beneficial to see what the room looks like under REW though you do start asking lots of questions how to get a better room response.

So REW is a lot easier to use then I was making it look, and I will be making new acoustic panels because what REW was telling me all will be good. ;)

I agree, even if you don't nail the exact levels etc, REW will give you an idea how good/bad your room's response is. Though I do wonder how much you should get hung up on it all, when it's the sub 80hz your trying to tame it will take more than a few 2/4" panels. I just wish I could afford to loose a few feet either end of my room to insulation..

One for the OH 'It would keep the house warm!' :)

RealTraps - Room Measuring Series

Not had chance to do anything as yet chaps, Iv'e had to use the last few days to prepare for my NICEIC assessment (yearly competence assessment for electricians) which was today, and gives you brain ache by the time you reach the end of it. Wull, I'm sure it gets more difficult every year !!.:eek: glad thats over with for another year. Ive got the Radio Shack analogue sound meter, should have the leads i need as well, laptop have got , just need to check into the sound card side of things. I'll try and find some time asap to have a play.

True Wull I would never be able to control very low level bass 25,20,15 and 10Hz way way too many thick panels, But it is amazing when you have say 2" thick accustic panels at the 1st and 2nd refection points it's an instant upgrade, From using REW i could see i have a nasty peak at 30Hz and one around 55Hz so I am going to try and rectify this because that will be effecting music playback for me , as long as you dont over dampen the room then it will sound better.

Not had chance to do anything as yet chaps, Iv'e had to use the last few days to prepare for my NICEIC assessment (yearly competence assessment for electricians) which was today, and gives you brain ache by the time you reach the end of it. Wull, I'm sure it gets more difficult every year !!.:eek: glad thats over with for another year. Ive got the Radio Shack analogue sound meter, should have the leads i need as well, laptop have got , just need to check into the sound card side of things. I'll try and find some time asap to have a play.

It certainly is pressure you could do without, but it's all for the good I guess. I'm just glad I do not have to do it. :)
And I bet them years come round fast!
I am quiet surprised the NICEIC don't insist on you taking your 2391 every year or so...... It's all about money making, sorry I mean safety.

Ohhh Yesssssssssss .... both barrels have been running for just over a week now Chris and have been watching a few films that i'm familiar with and they sound wise they are giving me a totally different sound stage to what iv'e been used to, i'm really impressed with them and the sound. I'm hearing bits of bass that i never knew existed before and on some scenes i can feel the pressure within the room etc, and were not talking about silly high levels of movie volume to achieve , which my two 12" svs subs never did..... and i used to think they were great !. I'm just waiting for a usb SoundBlaster card to come any day and then i'm going to get my teeth into this REW business and get some room plots up (thats the theory anyway). :D

I'm chuffed to bits for you mate , maybee I'll have to call in some time for a demo when I'm traveling home sometime . Having not heard another DIY sub I'm not sure what I should expect from mine , although its sounds great I think it's missing something and could do with a kick up the ass down in the lower freq .
I have a mini dsp on the way so I will be playing with that and rew over Easter before I decide on my next step .

Ta chap, drop in any time no problem. I think the dual core antimode will be interesting once it comes and i'm looking forward to seeing what the rew plots reveal as well. Took a look at those mini dsp units the other night after i saw your post and thought it looked good. The web page info was very well laid out and informative so look forward to your findings.

Nice one johnny.G ;) sounds like its all working very well, can not wait to see those REW graphs.

Well the SoundBlaster usb gizmo came today Ash, just need to have another read up and then attempt to get some plots

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom