Ronski finally starts his cinema room.

There's only so much you can do in areas like that, if you have suitable substrates you could bond the board with polyurethane mastic, which will give some flexibility /damping.

Ronkski, how wide is that Cinema seating? It looks like two narrower seats in the middle?

It's roughly 3680mm wide give or take a bit, each seat is 600mm wide.

Thanks. I'm a little concerned about flanking back in to the house, but have packed the gaps with rockwool as best I can so hopefully will be okay.

We used some of this acoustic flexible expanding foam in places that were awkard. Not sure if it will prove to be genius or idiocy (like all these things!) but anyway, it's an idea! Here is the link:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/soudal-flexible-expanding-foam-gun-grade-750ml/96928

It is horrible blue stuff, keep it well away from your fingers as it will take you a week to get off :(

I've had a PM asking about my in ceiling speaker boxes, so I thought I'd reply here so the info's available for everyone.

I don't have in ceiling speakers in my cinema room, only our through lounge diner, so sound proofing was not my main concern with these as there was no other sound proofing done in the rooms. The speakers I used had a recommended back box size, so I tried to get as close to that size as I reasonably could, they ended up being 0.03m3. I also made sure that all backer boxes had the same internal volume. My joist spacings where different and I had pipes and cables to contend with to. Cables were rerouted, and I managed to avoid the pipes or left space above the box.

I simply screwed wood to the joists, then made a plywood (18mm) top and ends and screwed this in place, then just for fire protection and a bit of sound proofing lined the inside of the box with plasterboard, sealing the corners and cable entry with decorators caulk.

If you wanted a more soundproofed version, then you'd need to make a complete box (top and four sides) out of ply, line it with plasterboard, perhaps even MLV or green goo if you have some available, then fix it only to the ceiling making sure it is not in contact with anything else. How well it works depends on what other sound proofing precautions you take.

Here's great post with an excellent example of how to do it The Little Cinema of Burnley and a great tip for installing them presuming you're putting up new plasterboard.

Hope that helps

Be ok to screw to the joists if they are decoupled. If not can use clips. I intend to build similar boxes for mine. Prob out if OSB then plasterboard.

It looks like a Christmas without being able to use my cinema room again, looks like the bulbs gone in my projector (flashing blue and solid orange light) - the last PJ died in December 2017, must be something about Epson PJ's and Christmas.

At least its under warranty, but I'll be very surprised if they can sort anything before Christmas.

Seems like Photobucket seems to have blocked my account for exceeding my limits, taking out most the pictures in this thread.

Shame about the bulb :( hope you get sorted. Having read your thread previously from start to finish, I don’t think I ever gave you a:thumbsup::thumbsup: so here are two - it was a really interesting read and your attention to detail and dedication not to mention your regular detailed posts have given me inspiration on my build so thanks :clap:

It looks like a Christmas without being able to use my cinema room again, looks like the bulbs gone in my projector (flashing blue and solid orange light) - the last PJ died in December 2017, must be something about Epson PJ's and Christmas.

You clearly need an LS10000/10500 :D

That's what I said to the wife and kids yesterday, but too expensive for me.

Spoke to Epson this morning and they are sending a new bulb on next day delivery, so it's in the hands of the courier gods.

New bulb arrived this morning, all back working and normal service resumed.:clap:
Only had 611 hours on the bulb, which is roughly what I thought it would be.

Excellent service from Epson and DPD who delivered it on time.

@Triggaaar as much as I'd like to host the pictures elsewhere or even upload them here it's a massive time consuming job. I'd also need to subscribe to Photobucket to gain access to see what each picture is, also seems Photobucket is having some sort of issues for the last few days or so, I'll see whats happening in the new year with Photobucket

Last edited:
Yeah Photobucket is rubbish. Any chance you could find a new home for your pictures?

I tried to upgrade my subscription to Photobucket this morning, all I get is "Invalid upgrade plan" so I've emailed them.

Intention was to go through and upload the photo's here, then cancel Photobucket.

Well I finally got back into Photobucket, going to be a mammoth task, there's 500 photo's in the folder. I also found that when I edit a post the photo's actually show up, but not if I just view the thread - weird.

My PJ has failed me again, I've got a red blotch appeared, and a couple of other blotches - hadn't noticed these but the red one really shows up on darker scenes, presume this is dust although not so sure about the red one. Not overly impressed with reliability as the bulb went just before Christmas with only 611 hours, now this just 76 hours of use later. Extremely glad it came with 5 years warranty as it is coming in very useful, the projector was collected today for repair.

Attachments

• 2020-03-07 15.40.08.jpg
    2020-03-07 15.40.08.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 207
I always intended to put a couple of pictures on the back wall to hide the unused speaker points, it's something I never got around to, that is until my daughters decided to get me a couple of pictures for fathers day :)

P1050265.JPG

P1050264.JPG

Last edited:
I've gone through the entire thread from page 2 today (did page 1 in August) and edited every single post so all the pictures should now show up - let me know if anybody spots any of my posts with broken pictures. It was actually quite easy in the end, although very time consuming. Edit the post turn off BB code (only needed doing once), this allows you to see the links, copy the picture number from Photobucket link, triple click the link, press attach file, paste, down arrow (selects the picture), hit enter, once uploaded, click full which then over writes the previously selected text, rinse and repeat dozens, probably well over a hundred times or more.

I realised I never added any finished pictures of the bi-folds I was installing, so here we are, complete with the decking, patio, raised flower beds and new lawn, needless to say its all my own work.

P1040765.JPG

P1040766.JPG

Now I'm off to watch a film :D

Hi, just pop'in here as I did a search through google for the Othelloline Copernico Multiformat screen and this thread popped up.
I must say very very nice job on the home cinema room install.. Thumbs up to you on that front..
The reasoning for the search was that I have the same screen, 130" version, I installed this screen back in 2010, which I won't forget too easy, (some weight in trying to install in a ceiling void between two 9"x3" rafters) it has given me flawless service until I did a little tweak on both A switches on rollers as they extent slightly from bottom of ceiling and were put on the very long finger to address and with the unfortunate timing of a power outage during this when the screen was in its fully extended position.
When the power returned the screen now won't go back up into its fully retractable position even after I returned the switches to their original position. All the other formats are working, but when the OFF is pressed it returns to what looks to be the 16:9 position. The thoughts of pulling this from the ceiling is gut wrenching to say the least. Any help on how the microswitches cut power to the motor circuits would be much appreciated. My gut instinct is that that one or two of this are an issue. Even if I got all the screen manually back into the unit it would so as not to damage the screen material. Thanks for documenting your install.. and in advance of any help.

So as it stands now I have a fully extended screen in my front living room, downside of not having a dedicated cinema room. :-(

Regards
R

@RockMonster70

I can't picture the A switches that you mention, I'll have a look at my pictures tonight and see if I can remember anything. I think the switches were limit switches, but it's all a bit vague.

I think it counts out the number of revolutions, but if it had forgotten this then surely it would try extending out further. I seem to also remember there was a combination of key presses on the remote to alter things. I'm sure I have the instructions somewhere, I'll see if I can find them.

See also Replacement motor for Othelloline Copernico 4 Format Screen

Last edited:
I've looked everywhere but can't find the instructions for the remote, I'm sure I used to have some, and you could alter screen position settings by using a key combination and then adjusting the screen. It's quite possible that the settings for the close position have got corrupted. I think you had to press and hold diagonally opposite buttons on the remote, then used one side for masking adjusted, and the other pair for main screen adjust, but I'm really only guessing here.

I'm positive that the limit switches don't affect the above, they just limit how far in and out the screens can go, and then cut the power in that direction of travel if I remember correctly.

Probably the best idea is to contact Contact and ask them, if they do send you any instructions please let me have a copy.

Here's the limit switches, there are two switches one for maximum up, and one for maximum down IIRC, so by adjusting the each limit switch limits where it stops.

The actual screen positions are controlled by a pulse ring on the drive of the motor, and I'm presuming it counts the pulses so it knows where to stop for a given aspect ration, I'm sure I've adjusted this, and presumably fully closed is just stored as per any other aspect ration.

P1010625.JPG

P1010592.JPG

Thanks for the above. Yeah I've contacted both the screen vendor and UK supplier I bought from (ISS) and got a thank you and sorry for you trouble but can't help reply from Italian screen vendor and no reply as of yet from the UK supplier. :-( Looks like its wrap up the sleeves tonight and firstly try and get screen back into its housing some how and go from there. I take it that the grey cable is in the top pic the encoder and the white is the supply cable to the motor assemble via micro switches. Are there brakes on these motor/gear box assemblies? How are these engaged / disengaged? I had a look yesterday for the controller/remotes and found some details on it which I'll attach later to send on..

Regards
R

There was no brakes on mine, but they are quite high geared, so I don't think you'll be able to manually turn the drum.

Looking at my pictures the grey cable is for the encoder wheel, the white cable is the motor feed via the limit switches. You'd have a neutral, and then a live for in, and a live for out, only power one of the lives at a time. Please note you do this at your own risk - I'm not an electrician.

I'm going to PM you a link to a Dropbox folder with all the pictures I have, it may help

They changed from Almot motors to Somfy Motors in 2010 (I was told this by Screenline), so the later in 2010 you bought your screen the more likely it is to have Somfy motors, and therefore be different to mine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom