Ron's Garage Conversion

ronnierott

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly I'd like to thank all other members who have contributed their ideas on the forum. I feel as though that now it's my turn to create my own mancave, I have been given alot of ideas from regularly reading through other members experiences. So I thought I'd log my project from start to finish.

I'll start firstly with the background.

About 12 years ago I had a 2 storey extension built onto my house, that being a garage and bedroom above. Over time the garage just filled with junk and earlier this year I decided to clear the lot out and block up the garage door and fit a window and have the room as workshop. Needless to say it's filled up again with junk! At this point creating a home cinema was not on the agenda......... UNTIL....... I was in town and thought I'd pop into the local AV shop that had just had a refurb. I've purchased items previously from the shop and have always been professionally dealt with. The owner recognized me, we shook hands and he offered me a coffee. It was then that he showed me his new Demo room.......WOW...... I want it!!!!

The next day I dragged the Mrs into town to show her...... She loved it. Luckily, anything that I want to do regarding home cinema the other half generally doesn't mind..... within reason.

I started the project in Sept 16 and as we speak it's still in progress. I anticipate it's finish sometime in Jan / Feb 17. Photos have been taken along the way and will be posted on a regular basis.

So here starts my DIY home cinema build blog......

Last edited:
The room measures 6.4m x 3.0m. There is a window at the front and another at the back. Access is via a door that leads to the rear garden.
IMG_0469.JPG

So here's problem No 1:-

The only access to the room is via the back garden.... Not ideal.

Not a problem, let's knock through the existing gable end and create a doorway from the living room.

So here's problem No 2:-

The house was built in 1756 and the walls are constructed of granite and about 5ft thick..... Not the best start to a project.

So here goes... Time to start knocking through. I just kept saying to myself that this MUST be the worst part of the whole project, get this part done and it must then be plain sailing...... Surely.

IMG_0467.JPG
IMG_0468.JPG
IMG_0470.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG

Now for the fun part.

What gadgets are going to be in the finished room.

I've opted for a 7.1.4 setup.

Here's what I have gone for:-

Projector --- Sony VPL-VW320ES 4K
Screen --- Grandview 110" fixed frame
Amp --- Denon AVRX6300H
Bluray --- Panasonic DMPUB900
FL / FR --- Monitor Audio Silver 10
Centre --- Monitor Audio Silver
Sub --- Monitor Audio Silver W12
SL / SR / RSL / RSR --- Monitor Audio Silver FX
Ceiling --- Monitor Audio CT165 X 4
Remote --- Harmony Elite
Seating --- 2 Foxhunter (or similar) recliner massage chairs
SkyQ
Xbox One S

Last edited:
So here's problem No 1:-

The only access to the room is via the back garden.... Not ideal.

Not a problem, let's knock through the existing gable end and create a doorway from the living room.

So here's problem No 2:-

The house was built in 1756 and the walls are constructed of granite and about 5ft thick..... Not the best start to a project.
Think of the soundproofing benefits. Worth every bit of hard graft? [emoji6]

Looking good with that equipment list

OP have you had a structural engineer carry out the calculations for using that concrete lintel?

Hi,
Yes, all was checked before work commenced. During this part of the job I was just playing the labourer for a very reputable local builder whose task it was to do the job.

That's ok then. I was just wondering what you building inspector might say. He may wish to see the calculations made by the engineer, possible his indemnity insurance if he is not known to LBC. Don't think I'm any expect, but I've seen a few alterations and knock through's, and the intel's have always been something they check on.

That's ok then. I was just wondering what you building inspector might say. He may wish to see the calculations made by the engineer, possible his indemnity insurance if he is not known to LBC. Don't think I'm any expect, but I've seen a few alterations and knock through's, and the intel's have always been something they check on.

Believe me, I wasn't gonna let any Tom, Dick or Harry start attacking my wall. :nono:

The knock through took 2 days and believe me was messy.

The living room floor was 2" higher than the garage floor level so I decided to raise the garage floor with 2" x 1" battens and insulate between them and then lay 8' x 2' floorboards. This also meant that I could run wires under the floor to enable me to have a floor socket for the chairs that were going in.

The No 1 priority with all this was not to have a wire anywhere in sight if I could help it.

Here's a few pics of the flooring / insulation going down, and also the door frame now fitted.

IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0497.JPG

Looking good mate, I feel the need to subscribe to this garage conversion, keep the pictures coming. Happy New Year.

Looking good mate, I feel the need to subscribe to this garage conversion, keep the pictures coming. Happy New Year.

Will do. Unfortunately I'm taking all the photos with my prehistoric Iphone4 so I apologize for their lack of quality. :(

The pictures are fine, just keep them coming.

Great equipment list btw.

The next decision was what to do with the door that leads to the garden and the rear window (screen wall, to be). Hopefully my decision won't come back and bite me, but I decided to just lock them, fill the voids with insulation and batten them off internally. My logic was that if I were ever to sell up then at least the new owners could convert the property back to as it was.

So, decision made it was time to start battening off the internal walls and ceiling. As said previously, I didn't want cables in sight so battened off with 2" x 2" which would give me enough room to run cabling and also add a 2" layer of sound insulation.

Only downside was losing space - especially on the width. It was always a bug bear from when the extension was first built that the width would have been better if the extension were to be another metre wider, however boundaries limited that factor. So basically, my final internal width would result in being approx 2.9m.

Hell of a draught coming into house every time the back door or windows are opened...... Polythene is needed. :eek:

IMG_0511.JPG

Can't forget the central heating --- She'd kill me.

Used to have a tap in the garage --- Now re-positioned outside.

IMG_0530.JPG
IMG_0536.JPG

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom