1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ronnie Barker has died...

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Roughneck1, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Roughneck1

Roughneck1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( a great loss of the most funny man on TV another one of the greats has gone.

RIP big fella...

"and its goodnight from me"

2. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I'd echo that, total legend, and one of the all time greats of TV comedy. Arkright in Open All Hours cracks me up everytime.

RIP Ronnie

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    I loved Charlie Farley and Piggy Malone. Sad to see the big chap go. [​IMG]

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Ronnie, you will be missed.

Ronnie Barker

Born: 25th September, 1929

Birthplace: Bedford

TV appearances include:

The Frost Report
    Foreign Affairs (1966)
    The Ronnie Barker Playhouse (1968)
    Hark At Barker (1969-70)
    The Two Ronnies (1971-87)
    Six Dates With Barker (1971)
    His Lordship Entertains (1972)
    Seven Of One (1973)
    Porridge (1974-77)
    Open All Hours (1973; 1976-85)
    Going Straight (1978)
    The Magnificent Evans (1984)
    Clarence (1988)

Ronnie Barker was born in Bedford, and after a brief sojourn as a Bank Clerk, he joined the Manchester Repertory Company as an Assistant Stage Manager. However, a career on stage beckoned. In 1956, he landed his first radio appearance and two years later, appeared in Frankie Vaughan's first film, Wonderful Things! He then went on to appear in The Navy Lark and The Seven Faces of Jim, starring Jimmy Gilbert.

He further made his mark in 1966 on The Frost Report as a sketch-writer and performer. It was on this show that he met his future comedy partner Ronnie Corbett.

According to legend, when Barker and co-host Corbett were presenting the BAFTAS, a technical hitch occurred. They covered so well that producers offered them their own show. In 1971, they signed contracts with the BBC to record a series of shows called The Two Ronnies.

As a performer Ronnie Barker made comedy look effortlessly funny, as meticulous as he was talented.

He was also a prolific writer. After several years, a team meeting with a mysterious contributor to their show called Gerald Wiley was arranged. Wiley allegedly wrote about 75 per cent of the material used. The team met Ronnie Barker. He had wanted to ensure material was chosen for its quality, not his star status.

As well as The Two Ronnies, Barker found success with Porridge and Open All Hours. With all this under his belt, Barker announced his retirement in 1986.

Eleven years later the duo returned for a special tribute to The Two Ronnies in 1999. Ronnie Barker returned to our screens in 2002 in The Gathering Storm playing Churchill's butler.

In 2004, he was honoured by BAFTA in Ronnie Barker: A BAFTA Tribute.

Presented by his old friend and Two Ronnies co-star Ronnie Corbett, this was a great tribute to a man who was Britain's favourite television comedy actor throughout the 1970s and 1980s. Many other comedy greats, including John Cleese, Michael Palin, David Jason, Ben Elton and Patricia Routledge pay tribute to him, along with modern comics such as Peter Kay, Rob Brydon and Johnny Vegas. Although this programme features clips from his many comedy incarnations, the true revelation of this show for the viewer was the true extent of the popularity of Barker as a person and the number of his colleagues over the years who have a genuine affection for him. David Jason, in particular, is clearly emotional during much of the proceedings. Barker appears in person towards the end and gives a short and modest speech of thanks.

God bless Ronnie, a true loss to us all

David.

5. Mendes

Mendes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Have just found out that The Gov'ner has passed away with heart problem at the age of 76.
    Ive grown watching the end of the Two Ronnies Tv show and the repeats of Open all hours and Porridge, and also Clarence. This man wasnt just a comedian, he was comic actor, the likes of which we will probably never see again. This man was absolute genius in my eyes. And his work shall live on for future generations to live on with TV and the various shows he's done on dvd.

Ronnie Barker
    Man of many faces, genius with the english language and the funniest man i have probably ever seen.

R.I.P Gov'ner and long may you pester the 'Arkwright' in the sky for 'fork handles'.

6. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,643
    sad loss... the four candles (fork handles :) ) have been extinguished
    - surprised he was never knighted?

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    a comic genius is dead!!!

open all hours was comedy gold as was porridge both of which go to prove that good comedy is good comedy no matter how old it is.

Sad Day

Gary

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,339
    I have done an obit for him here..

Watch the till and see if you fill the jar from across the room.

I thought the 2 films he did some of the funniest I have ever seen I hope the repeat them real soon.

There will be a tribute to him on the BBC at 10.35 tonight

9. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Not unexpected, but terrible news nonetheless. I could watch Arkright over and over, he's the funniest character ever, but Fletcher was probably the cleverest.
    One thing will stay with me always - the excitement and expectation of sitting in front of the telly with the family on a Saturday night and hearing that incredible 'The Two Ronnies' theme tune start and knowing that we were in for an hour of top notch - TOP NOTCH - comedy entertainment.
    RB's comedy was always smart and intelligent, clever in its way with words and expressions. In an age when second-rate comedians spark briefly with juvenile humour, Ronnie barker shone like the genius he *really* was.
    Thanks for the laughs, RB - you will be greatly missed.

10. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    :(

11. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    One of the greatest British TV comedians ever

I'm glad that after being away from the public eye for so many years, he made a brief return recently, almost like a final farewell for his fans.

RIP Ronnie :(

12. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    :(

He will be surely missed and remembered as one the legends of comedy.
    My daughters aged 14, 12 & 9 were saddened to hear this news, it just shows that his abilities still touch people of all ages even to this day and I am sure will remain forever.

13. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Here's to a truly great comic actor, not merely a comedian. :(

14. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, real big loss - one of the few famous people that was genuinely loved by everyone

15. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Like many colleagues in my trade I have had over the years a few well known celebrities "in the back of my cab", and Ronnie Barker was one of them. A more gentle, gentle man and gentleman you could not wish to find or meet.

I never bother celebs too much unless they wish to speak to me after all everyone is entiltled to some privacy, but even though it was some time ago I do remember when I said to him how much I enjoyed his art he was typically modest on his appreciation of my compliments. May his dear soul rest in peace, he will not be forgotten, geniuses tend not to. :(

16. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Britain has produced three of the greatest comic actors of all time; Alec Guiness, Peter Sellars, and Ronnie Barker.

Although Ronnie didn't have the international presence of the other two, his legacy, and genius will be with us forever.

May the guv'nor rest in peace.