1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ronin P80H karaoke RGB SCART output or not?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by shamik, Oct 11, 2003.

1. shamik

shamik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the P80H with karaoke, and according to the ronin website and the gameloaded.com website, it has RGB output through SCART. But I dont see any RGB. There isnt even any option in the setup menu. Isnt it supposed to have RGB output? It has component output (Y Pb Pr) via 3 RCAs but my sharp 32JW TV doesnt accept component,the screen turns all green (as I found out when I set the PS2 output to Y Cb Cr). If it isnt supposed to have RGB output, then can someone tell me if there is any way to make it output RGB, because a conversion to RGB via an encoder isnt really feasible (£90 at keene.co.uk).
    The box that came with the DVD player didnt specifically say karaoke on it, but mine has to be that model because theres a button on the remote that says "karaoke" and theres a karaoke setup menu, and according to the ronin website the ordinary P80H isnt supposed to have component output.

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Karaoke models normally I think have mic inputs or one input at least. Normally its at the front but can also be at the back.

Component is actually sometimes described as RGB because it also carries the RGB signals seperately but in a different way to scart RGB and VGA. The word 'component' means the signal is sent in its component parts basically.

To get RGB out of a dvd player with RGB (scart) you need;

1. A television with a RGB equipped scart socket. You must make sure you use the RGB scart socket and not a s-video only scart socket.

2. A fully connected scart cable with all pins present and all pins connected with wires. Not that all wires are used for RGB but there really are two types of scart cables one fully connected and the other just has composite and audio connections plus switching voltages.

3. The dvd player is set to give out RGB in its menus. It may be possible that RGB is given another name or RGB is only enabled on a different setting. I.e. you set it to s-video and both component and RGB are disabled but with component set both rgb and component are available. If you have a dual scart dvd player make sure you are using the output/tv scart.

4. Scart control must be enabled. This can apply to both television and dvd player. If the television has an option to override scart control turn it off. Also on the remote if there is a tv/av button try pressing it. Same on the dvd player options and remote.

Reasons why RGB isn't working;

1. You've flashed the firmware of the player with a multiregion or macrovision free firmware and now the player doesn't send switching signals via scart rgb because the flashed firmware was meant for usa models.

2. There are compatibility problems between the tv and dvd with the level of switching voltage to go to RGB mode.

Best of luck.

3. shamik

shamik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i did upgrade the firmware because the region free code supplied wasnt working. So basically its either no region free or no RGB.

4. shamik

shamik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well basically im stuck with it now, no way i can get RGB,but at least a have multiregion,thats more important than RGB (probably). The old one did have a VGA option under the component menu. I guess theres no way to get the old firmware back.

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    VGA would probably have been the option to get scart rgb out. Scart RGB and VGA ar the same type of RGB signal except VGA is progressive and Scart RGB is interlace. I would keep an eye out for a pal multiregion firmware. Check out dvdrhelp.com and its dvd player hack section. Also contact the store where you got it for a firmware update or other stores that have sold it.