Romeo and Brittney

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Dr Who's Karen Gillan has won a leading role in David Baddiel's directorial debut, entitled 'Romeo and Brittney'.

Karen Gillan is to play a New Jersey high school teenager who finds herself trapped Alice In Wonderland-style in Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet.

X-File's Gillian Anderson will play the dual roles of Gillan’s mother and a nurse in Verona, while Robert Sheehan, star of The Misfits as Nathan, will play the school nerd who becomes her Romeo.

Gillan wakes up in mythical 13th century Verona with all the people she knows from her high school life playing characters in the play. And she wants to get out because she knows how the play ends.

The $7 million Romeo and Brittney will start shooting in May. David Baddiel, writer of The Infidel, will be making his directing debut, producer Arvind Ethan David tells me. Baddiel is well known over here as a novelist as well as a stand-up comedian.

David is pitching the project as “Shakespeare In Love meets Clueless.” He says: “We both love literate teen comedies and we wanted to do our own version. After all, 10 Things I Hate About You was based on The Taming On the Shrew just as Clueless was based on Jane Austen’s Emma and Easy A is inspired by Nathaniel Hawthorne’s The Scarlet Letter.

And what is Twilight if it’s not Romeo and Juliet with vampires and werewolves?” Slingshot will co-produce with an Eastern European producer and is just about to go out to financiers. “There’s been strong interest from people we did The Infidel with,” says David. “It’s another body-swap comedy along the same lines.”

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
My thoughts exactly...not necessarily a bad thing though as that was quite enjoyable.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
It sounds slightly different though, more like Wizard of Oz, with people she knows playing characters in the 13th Century.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom