Rome

Discussion in 'Travelling & Holidays' started by Rasczak, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,898
    Thinking of taking a short break (probably no more than 2 nights) in Rome with the key aim of visiting the core historical venues. Can anyone suggest the best days of the week to go when the major museums are likely to be quietest?

Furthermore can anyone suggest a decent hotel in or near the key venues whose staff will have a good grasp of English (or French)?

2. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,213
    Stay near the Termini. I did the first time I visited Rome and it was easy to get everywhere (can't remember name of hotel), but made the mistake the second time I visited Rome to stay near the Forum, and had a good 15-20 minute walk to the nearest Metro station. This time of year it'll be quiet everywhere I would think.

3. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    When I went to Rome in the summer, we stayed at a hotel near the Vatican (this one: Welcome To Nova Domus Hotel Rome - 4 Star Hotel in Rome center near Vatican), it was about a 10-15 minute walk to the Metro station but that wasn't a problem as the area was more residential and just seemed a nicer bit of town to be in.

One thing I will say is make sure you buy the metropolitina cards, you can buy them as either a daily, 3 day or weekly pass and the ticket machines can be helpfully be set to English, so you know what you are buying!

4. DaveBhoy

DaveBhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Just back from a short break in Rome. We stayed at the IQ Hotel, just at the opera house. Great location, five minutes from Termini, and even nearer Republica, which was a much quieter metro stop.

Right at Via Nationale, maybe fifteen or twenty minutes walk from Forum, Colosseum and Trevi fountain. Only used metro to go out to the Vatican, and even then we walked back.

You will be pushed to do much more than one our two attractions a day, certainly if the heat picks up.

5. Piscauk

Piscauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
    We stayed at Hotel Galatea and Hotel Abruzzi last month. Galatea was off the Via Nazionale, near the Opera house. Very serviceable hotel, walking distance to everywhere. It's near the Metro, but we found that walking was just as quick to get anywhere. The Metro serves out of town well, but for exploring the historical, Roman centre it just doesnt cover anywhere. Hotel Abruzzi was opposite the Pantheon, and is about as central as we could get. For location, it cannot be beaten. I would recommend both hotels highly, and wouldnt even factor the distance from a Metro station unless you intend to travel the the outskirts. The Roman parts of Rome, and the Vatican/St.Angelo are very walkable distances from both hotels I suggested.

Glad we picked hotels just away from Termini too. The area near the station was, whilst not seedy, definately not as pleasant as just a few hundred yards away from it. That said, if you want somewhere with more younger folk, Termini is likely the area to be. For anyone over 28 or so, stick to the centre :)

6. wiz

wiz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,341
    When is the best / quietest time to go?

7. Piscauk

Piscauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
    Almost any time that isnt the summer. We went first week of December, ate outside at night (albeit with jumpers on of course). The summer is supposed to be stifling hot, and many of the residents leave the city itself to get away. Some friends went in September, it was very warm but busy. So, extrapolating from that I would go for March or October time to get the city busy enough for atmosphere but not too cramped, with weather to make it feel like a holiday.

8. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    I went August, it wasn't that bad but the general advice was to seek shade from around 12pm-2pm

9. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    My wife and i were planning on going for a few nights the first week of April with our 12 year old daughter(whilst her sister is away on a skiing holiday with the school).

Mindful that 12 year old girls are only interested in shops, MacDonalds and Disney on the telly, would we be wasting our time in Rome? Are there things there that would provide some balance to the high culture for her?

10. Piscauk

Piscauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
    Rome has plenty of shops, but its fairly upmarket stuff. That said, there are also plenty of markets around too, just avoid the Piazza Navona which is likely a nightmarish fun fair, such a shame as its fairly impressive otherwise. We had a coffee in a McDonalds just by the Spanish Steps, somewhat cheaper than the £40 or so for tea/coffee in the tearooms a few doors up!

That said, whilst I wasnt looking for things for younger folk to do, it did seemed more geared around cafes, ice creams, eating out, Roman history, plenty of art (boring), museums etc. Certainly in the centre. Its not quite like some capital cities such as London, New York, Berlin or alike in that its core draw for tourists is the ancient history, so it concentrates on that (as it should of course), whereas London has the historical builidings and alike, but much more mixed in with modern entertainments.

11. hyeongseong

hyeongseong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Apparently you have to pay tourist tax while stay in rome. I think it is 2 euro a day per person if you live in a three star hotel or below and more for 4 star and above. :eek:

12. Rosiecider

Rosiecider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    tourist tax is €2 per person per night for 3 star and less, and €3 per night for 4 star and above. charged by the hotel and payable to them.

13. Rosiecider

Rosiecider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Have a look at the Quirinale hotel on Via Nazionale close to the spanish steps and other sights - good hotel

14. wiz

wiz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,341
    Hi all
    Don't know how much money to take on a three day break to Rome.
    How much for a typical evening meal / cup of coffee?

How much should I take?

15. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,384