1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rome, Total War

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by AML, Sep 29, 2004.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    :D Just got this and cant stop playing!!!

Amazing graphics engine!!
    Got all the settings on full and runs smoothe as melted ice cream!! :laugh:

Good music, good sound effects! Just think Gladiator on DTS!!!!

Game play is very deep though and gonna take time to learn the politics and stuff, this my first Total war game so im sure you vets out there wont have any problem!

The tutorial can be helpful, but gets annoying after a while and doesnt explain everything you might want to know in detail.

Otherwise amazing game and took the brunt off my HL2 anger!!

Just tell me where to sign up! S.P.Q.R !!!!

2. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Great to hear, mines on order from play, loved the demo how demanding is it, the demo ran fine but the armies wernt that big.

2.5 @ 2.8 p4,,1 gig of pc2700, TI4600 @ 315 & 670.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    ive got this but not got around to playing it yet, still addicted to Def Jam: Fight for New York on the PS2! I played Medieval Total War and thought it was fun briefly but i soon got bored, hopefully this one will be more exciting. I've also got Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War which looks like it might be a similar sort of thing, so i wonder which i'll end up playing more..

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Well I have all the settings on full and the resolution @ 1024X768.

It runs as well as it can, the characters will look the same as the demo since the demo is basicaly the first level of the game.

Im sure it will improver in later levels, but I think this game is good not for the graphics of the individual characters, but for the scale of the game.

In the later levels you get to attack a city and the buildings are nicely detailed.

Im not sure how much more the game will demand, but i assume we will see huge armies at each other in later levels with different machines and huge animals (like the elefants) so we may not focus on individual units so much.

Still, I dont really care that much about the graphics, Its the game play thats got me hooked!

5. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Great, should be good on MP hopefully!!!

Cheers

6. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AML, the game doesn't have levels. It's a RTS, you can attack cities when you want. You'll see elephants if you attack the Carthaginians as they were the chaps that used them the most.

I've been waiting for this game for the last year or so, but now it's nearly out over here I'm not so sure. I've heard some bad things about unit speed and unit kill speed where you can lose a few hundred man in mere seconds. That seems a little off.

7. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Doesn't it depend on how many men you have to begin with? Not sure about the level structure but i see youre point, i think AML might be refering to the historical battles which are sort of levels in themselves, still with any quibbles it's been getting good reviews from what i can make out but at the end of the day theres only 1 way to find out!!

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Mediaeval: Total War wasn't as good as Shogun, and I still play shogun now!

Hopefully Rome will be awesome, but the computer demands on the huge battles you can stage, ala BBC2 and time commanders don't bare thinking about!

9. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Been playing Rome, but I have got Warhammer now and prefer the fast pace of Warhammer, for multiplayer it is amazing.

However, I am thinking that eventually I will go back to Rome for a while as it does have that whole Civ lose an entire weekend for one more move feel :)

10. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    I've been playing RTW over the last few days and it's superb! Very addictive and the combat sections are fantastic - great graphics, easy to control your units, fun to play yet deep and involving. It's great when you attack a city, knock the door down & punch some holes in the walls - send in some inf backed up by archers through the walls and then some cav through the front gate to charge his ranged units. Then assault the main square, wear them down with spearmen & archers and then charge with inf & cav when they attack!

Great game, a big improvement over MTW and STW IMO. It also runs very well on my machine on a high res with high detail on most things.

11. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I have a queston.

I been playing this since relese and had no problems with the game untill today.

In the middle of playing on the campaing map, the graphics suddenly went all weird and the main map as well as any actual battles are now all messed up! (i cant describe the effect, the map is all covered in artefacts)

Strangely enough, the other menus and the main menu dont seem to be affected by this. I havent seen any patches out for this game yet as its new.

Has anyone else had any problems?

12. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    No but there is a patch out already, have you just installed sp2 by any chance, also i notice youv'e just got a new card, could it be an issue with that????? is it just that game thats messed up, sry i can't be more specific though as i'm no expert but it might put you on the right track,, isn't the game great though, soooooo addictive.
    Perhaps you'll be up for a mp game sometime..........

Cheers

13. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    yeah, its very addictive. I think the problem i have is with my card or my PC as the artefacts are appearing in other 3D games too.

Arghh, PCs are so much trouble!

14. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Try putting the card back to stock settings and see what happens, if that does,nt cure it put another in and check to see what happens, also check the heatsink hasn't come loose, sounds like the card though mate

15. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Hey there. I actually spent the day playing other games to see if it was my card. but I didnt have any oroblems with other games.

Weird. I expected the same thing to happen but it didnt. Im actually kind of releived, it seems like it might be something thats brought on by Rome.

16. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes but as iv'e just said in youre other thread it's demanding and probally stressing the card PUT THEM BACK TO STOCK SETTINGS and seee what happens. Get another card try it at stock, are the other games youre playing new ones??? Try doom 3 with it and see what happens that should stress it more than RTW, if you don't want it to be a card problem then you will probally find another reason but beleive me m8 i'm a regular reader of OVERCLOCKERS UK and theres plenty of 6800's out there with problems with fauly heatsink etc have a look it will probally be a better place to look in all honesty!

...Oh the horror of it!!!!

17. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Dude!

As I said in the other thread, It CANT be that the card cant handle the game.

If it can handle Doom 3 and CS Source fine, Then it can handle Rome with ease!!
    Remember Rome is an RTS, and specially when your on the map, Theres not that much going on!

Thanks anyway. Stock settings wont wrok either if the card cant "handle" the game.
    If your gforce 4 can handle it, then a 6800gt can too!

18. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    It doesn't seem particuarly optimised though, that might be a problem.

19. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    You mean the map in Rome? Is that something they can fix with a patch?

20. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I kind of mean the battle engine, it runs ok on my system, but I seem to struggle with it sometimes. It just doesn't seem optimised that well.

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    This is strange as i'm running it on a pretty his res with a lot of stuff turned on and the game runs like a dream. My GCard is only a Ti4400 as well which is pretty ropey these days.

22. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I know this may sound stupid, but I usually let the battles autoplay themselves. Like the ship battles.
    I preffer to focus on the strategy of conquest!

The battles are nice mind you and I fight the bigger more important ones, but they do become tedious and long winded.
    Another thing is that you are limited by time.
    Whats that all about?
    Is the Roman Empire in a hurry?

Its not like your going to loose either if you have the most advanced troops and the biggest number.

I wouldnt call this the most challenging tactical game. I guess I could turn up the difficulty, but I realy cant be bothered going thru it all again from the start.

I spend most of my time on the tactical map of Europe, and I enjoy taking over countries and regions!

I just wish you could take over the world!

23. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081

i agree with ELV, you should stop the overclocking for a while. Do you know how your card works? Do you know exactly which buses, registers, areas of cache are being used by Rome TW? You can't assume just because other games work fine when your card is overclocked that all games should. Rome TW may be stressing your card in ways other games don't. Is it going to hurt to put it back to stock settings for a while to see if the problem persists?

24. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Thanks for the advice guys and I will try that if the problem persists.
    I do spend a lot of time on Rome so I want it to work smothely.

25. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's maybey the AI thats stressing it more, after all its having to do the thinking for you quite a lot, perhaps it's the cpu that's stressed, what card did you have was it an ATI and were the drivers totally removed as if not it can cause probs, there are some programmes that will run a check can't remember the bloody name though,,,, oh well off to work now, have fun !!

26. Peanut

Peanut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is is a nice game, a real RTS game. :smashin:

Only one ploblem, where can I find a find a server with "real" RTS players? :blush:

THX

PEA

27. Ak1s

Ak1s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a slightly more generic subject, the Ti4400 mentioned is a DirectX 8 card (I own one), and the 6800 is a DirectX 9 card. This means that the results are not comparable. You may be getting high FPS with the Ti4400 if you haven't got the AA/AF on, and lower FPS with the 6800, with the Shaders etc.
    So...image artefacts on the 6800 -> no relation to Ti4400 running the game smoothly. Probably overclocking and interference is to blame, perhaps a dodgy PSU, or a large magnetic field close to the card or monitor or both...
    Or...there is a patch needed...
    or perhaps it's the card, early 6800 were buggy...

Hope this helps...