Rome...ITV...what with all the public sex?

Decadence said:
well my verdict is in...booooooooooring...I turned it off after half an hour...it was chock full of people desperately trying to act, all with the same fake, snooty, toffee-nosed accents; like fingers down a blackboard to me...it was so appallingly dull it was painful to watch.
I was thinking the same as you but I didn't switch over. I'm glad I didn't as the final 20 minutes were excellent! You missed all the best bits Decadence ;)
Seriously though, I did think that it improved the longer it went on and, hopefully, will get even better once the beeb start transmitting the uncut episodes.

It is an absolutely superb series, and light years ahead of 99% of supposed drama shown on TV these days. Decadence is so wrong it's difficult to respond without appearing to cast aspersions!

I enjoyed the episodes I have watched, and consider it unmissable.
They might remove the full frontal shot of the male sex slave so all you guys don't feel so humble.
I've never seen anything like it, he was GIGANTIC even when unaroused.
I've seen incest, torture, animal sacrifice, lesbians ........ Cleopatra turned out to be a right slapper.

Try to keep this spoiler friendly guys.

lol, it must just be me then...can't stand Lost either...I'll get back to watching American Chopper and Hogan knows Best... ;)

From the timesonline article:

The corporation maintained that the cut scenes were unnecessary because British audiences “already knew” the historical background of the struggle between Julius Caesar and Pompey and did not need as much information as Americans.
Oh, please: most people in Britain today have never even heard of Pompey. :rolleyes:

If political scheming scenes really have been cut to turn 3 episodes into 2 then that is really annoying. :mad:

NicolasB said:
From the timesonline article:

Oh, please: most people in Britain today have never even heard of Pompey. :rolleyes:

If political scheming scenes really have been cut to turn 3 episodes into 2 then that is really annoying. :mad:

I like to think of myself as having above average history general knowledge and I don’t know anything about this time period other than some bloke who was the son of god (allegedly) got crucified ;)

So to say I am annoyed at the BBC’s meddling is an understatement! :)

Still could be worse they could have cut the sex scenes. :D

NicolasB said:

Wasn't Pompey a town that had a volcano erupt and vitrify all the people in ash and Frankie Howard had a comedy show based on it. :D

pjclark1 said:
Wasn't Pompey a town that had a volcano erupt and vitrify all the people in ash and Frankie Howard had a comedy show based on it. :D

Yeah and if memory serves wasn't the console of Pompey a rival to Ceaser and played a part in his assination?
I wonder if that was what the BBC suits considered as being the basis for their decision:)

Watched the first 3 eps last night via download, enjoyed it and while the sex/nudity was certainly in your face (so to speak :blush: ) it was by no means an important part of the story.
It would only become so if you chopped out dozens of scenes which would make the sex appear far more often and of course play very well in the tabloids!

Poor showing by the BBC and not what you would expect from them.

FoxyMulder said:
Since the BBC have confirmed in an email that they have cut an entire episode then i assume cuts have indeed been done, the BBC can forget it i'll wait for the dvd unless someone can actually tell me 100% with accuracy that they have not edited it.

Anyone know for sure if its been cut as i enjoyed what i watched yesterday its been a while since i saw a gritty enjoyable period drama.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, I'm sure they won't have cut anything thats going to effect the plot!

Then again if it were my favourite TV services and they chopped bits out I'd probably be peeved to be honest....

pjclark1 said:
That would be "Pompeii", normally pronounced as three syllables (POM-PAY-EE) destroyed by Vesuvius in AD79. The gentleman generally referred to as "Pompey" would, at the time, have been called "Pompeius" (POM-PAY-YOOS).

starburst said:
Yeah and if memory serves wasn't the console of Pompey a rival to Ceaser and played a part in his assination?
Yeah, Caesar was killed by being hit over the head with Pompey's X-Box. :rolleyes:

NicolasB said:
That would be "Pompeii", normally pronounced as three syllables (POM-PAY-EE) destroyed by Vesuvius in AD79. The gentleman generally referred to as "Pompey" would, at the time, have been called "Pompeius" (POM-PAY-YOOS).

Yeah, Caesar was killed by being hit over the head with Pompey's X-Box. :rolleyes:

You have got your historical facts wrong it wasn't an X Box it was in fact a Sega Saturn which even back in those days no one wanted.

The BBC have really screwed this series up by editing it, why couldn't they show both episodes 1 and 2 in the repeat showing on Sunday instead of simply editing it and telling us they know best.

NicolasB said:

Must have missed that part in the movie, no doubt the BBC cutting bits out yet again:)

Have seen parts of it.

Tom Holland's 'Rubicon' much better. Much much better...

Oh, please: most people in Britain today have never even heard of Pompey

Isn't that a port on the south coast somewhere?? :cool:

lol! this thread seems to have taken off a bit! Well next episode tonight, looking forward to it!!!! :D

Nobody has actually answered my origonal question:- !!! seriously - whats with all the public sex! Like when they were all waiting for the random guy in the army scene to finish behind the tree!! and whats with like everyone watching !!! LOL... is that how it really was back then?

Chris

craynerd said:
lol! this thread seems to have taken off a bit! Well next episode tonight, looking forward to it!!!! :D

Wednesday actually

craynerd said:

Nobody has actually answered my origonal question:- !!! seriously - whats with all the public sex! Like when they were all waiting for the random guy in the army scene to finish behind the tree!! and whats with like everyone watching !!! LOL... is that how it really was back then?
Actually yes, it was. The Romans had far fewer hang-ups than we do. The Greeks were even more "liberated", of course - they embraced bisexuality to an extent that made even the Romans look prudish.

To be fair, if you look at the way that soldiers in the modern world behave, rather than civilians, the behaviour of Roman legionaries isn't really very far removed from that.

I'm with Decadence on this. I thought it was a bit poo. I watched it because my daughter's history teacher mentioned it to the class and I wanted to vet it. She won't be watching it. I don't consider it suitable for an 11 year old.

BTW, NicholasB, are you Stephen Fry?

11 , !!!! bloody hell, i thought it was a bit raw for me and i`m 22 ;) lol...no totally agree, well not suitable for 11y/o !!

and sorry about my earlier post! Tomorrow not tonight! thought it was wednesday for some bizzare reason!

what was everyone verdict of last nights showing? was it only 50mins ? and there was way less sex this time :(

I think it's moving along nicely, interested to see how the subplot with the Gold heads.
The Graffiti on Atias wall made me chuckle,

'Atia amat ....random name.....' and the best one
'Atia fellat ....random name.....' :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom