Rome...ITV...what with all the public sex?

craynerd

Standard Member
LOL, this is the most random program ever, killing then it cuts to public sex!??!?!?!?! WHAT? does anyone understand...

craynerd

Standard Member
that program thats just been on ITV - Rome i think it was called, very bizzare, as described in the title!

John

it was on BBC2 and I missed it , repeated on sunday night on BBC1

John

morksbeanbag

there was alot of sex and violence in it. I'd like to of been a roman. :thumbsup:

CrazyHorse

Haven't seen it yet - recorded it - but I've been reading on another Forum that it was quite heavily cut by the BBC.

Those who have seen the original HBO broadcasts say that tonights BBC episode was in fact a shoddy mish-mash of episode's 1 & 2 combined to fit a fifty minute time slot - one episode should last approx fifty mins on its' own!

I can't understand why the Beeb would do this after pushing the show so much and I'm sure they'll receive a great many complaints. It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say about it.

I will watch this 'first' episode to see what all the fuss is about, but if the cuts have made it all a bit of a mess, as people are saying, then I may wait for the inevitable R1 DVD release to view the whole series.

PoochJD

Hi,

Okay, let me get you all sorted out. :D

"Rome" has absolutely not had a single frame of footage cut for its UK broadcast. However, it is different to the US HBO broadcasts, just not in the way you expected.

In the USA, HBO has aired 9 episodes to date, of this drama. Each episode has been aired uncut, and uncensored, in 52-53 minute episodes. In the USA, Episodes 11 and 12 will be aired separately.

In the UK, BBC2/1 will air all 12 episodes, on a week-by-week basis, the show eventually concluding over the Christmas/New Year period. Each episode is identical in every single frame, as the HBO version. The only single difference, is that BBC2 and 1 will air Episodes 11 and 12 together, as a final feature-length movie instead, of being separate episodes.

Other than that, there is absolutely no difference at all between the UK and USA broadcasts of "Rome"! :lesson:

For full details, you may want to check out the official "Rome" site, which is here! There are downloads available as well, e.g. audio and video clips, etc, etc.

When you click on the HBO Schedule, and do a search for "Rome", you will notice that the running times are identical to the UK broadcasts, at approximately 52 or 53 minutes each!

I promise and assure all of you, that nothing has been cut, modified, censored, manipulated, changed or altered in "Rome"! :clap:

Pooch

John

I knew pooch would know , he always does

John

Barbara2001

I didn't record it last night as it clashed with other programmes, and plan to record it on Sunday, which is also a much better time to watch it. Inote the schedule has allowed 55 minutes on Sunday, last night was 50 mintues - I assume it overran a little bit last night!

aprout

PoochJD said:
Hi,

Okay, let me get you all sorted out. :D

"Rome" has absolutely not had a single frame of footage cut for its UK broadcast. However, it is different to the US HBO broadcasts, just not in the way you expected.

In the USA, HBO has aired 9 episodes to date, of this drama. Each episode has been aired uncut, and uncensored, in 52-53 minute episodes. In the USA, Episodes 11 and 12 will be aired separately.

In the UK, BBC2/1 will air all 12 episodes, on a week-by-week basis, the show eventually concluding over the Christmas/New Year period. Each episode is identical in every single frame, as the HBO version. The only single difference, is that BBC2 and 1 will air Episodes 11 and 12 together, as a final feature-length movie instead, of being separate episodes.

Other than that, there is absolutely no difference at all between the UK and USA broadcasts of "Rome"! :lesson:

For full details, you may want to check out the official "Rome" site, which is here! There are downloads available as well, e.g. audio and video clips, etc, etc.

When you click on the HBO Schedule, and do a search for "Rome", you will notice that the running times are identical to the UK broadcasts, at approximately 52 or 53 minutes each!

I promise and assure all of you, that nothing has been cut, modified, censored, manipulated, changed or altered in "Rome"! :clap:

Pooch
on the other hand, from another forum:

I e-mailed the BBC Drama Department to complain about the heavy handed editing (butchering) leading to parts of it no longer making sense and got this standard reply back:

"We decided to combine the first three episodes into two because our
audiences have different needs (than the US audience) and we think this
makes a greater impact for our UK audience. There is a much stronger
sense and understanding of European history in the UK and a much wider
knowledge of not only the concept of ancient Rome but also the
all-British cast who are in the leading roles."

Who's right? :)

Starburst

In this case I will take the opinions of those who have watched the US screenings and the first UK episode and can list all the deleted or edited scenes as being the correct take on the situation:)
The icing on the cake is the email reply from the BBC confirming that there has been some content editing to suit the UK market (as they see it).

Downloading the first 3 eps now.

GalacticaActual

Starburst said:
In this case I will take the opinions of those who have watched the US screenings and the first UK episode and can list all the deleted or edited scenes as being the correct take on the situation:)
The icing on the cake is the email reply from the BBC confirming that there has been some content editing to suit the UK market (as they see it).

Downloading the first 3 eps now.
the editing may have been to explainatory "this is what hapened in roman times" type wording in a narration ,rather than actuall scences being cut.

pjclark1

I predict there will be at least three cuts.
You aren't allowed to say the swear word on UK tv that they said (ep3).
It's unlikely the latin graffiti outside Caesars house in Rome, will air in the UK (ep3).
The BBFC will not allow the animal sacrifice to be aired (ep2).

there is no narration like that Dave-S

Starburst

Dave-S said:
the editing may have been to explainatory "this is what hapened in roman times" type wording in a narration ,rather than actuall scences being cut.

Going on the posts over at DS the missing elements are far more substantial.
However somethings you should see for yourself so I've got the first 3 US eps which I'll watch probably tomorrow night then watch the BBC1 repeat and the next ep on BBC2, interesting experiment if nothing else:)

GalacticaActual

pjclark1 said:
I predict there will be at least three cuts.
You aren't allowed to say the swear word on UK tv that they said (ep3).
It's unlikely the latin graffiti outside Caesars house in Rome, will air in the UK (ep3).

there is no narration like that Dave-S
Ok, mate no worries, it was just a thought. If the program is well worth a watch, I may just hang on for the region 1 DVD instead :)
Dont see the point in showing programs and then cutting them. Still us poor english must be protected from all the violence and bad language in the world :D Its simply just not cricket dont you know :D

F

FoxyMulder

Since the BBC have confirmed in an email that they have cut an entire episode then i assume cuts have indeed been done, the BBC can forget it i'll wait for the dvd unless someone can actually tell me 100% with accuracy that they have not edited it.

Anyone know for sure if its been cut as i enjoyed what i watched yesterday its been a while since i saw a gritty enjoyable period drama.

pjclark1

Episode one definately has cuts

stealther

CUTS CUTS! Its time we had some cuts in the BBC lets start with the throats of every executive and move on down through the food chain until we have what we want. :D

Question though I thought it was one of the raunchiest dramas id ever seen surely the cuts were not to dull it down? :confused:

I almost pity the BBC there going to get complaints about the sex and violence and know from us lot about editing the episodes! :devil:

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
pjclark1 said:

Did they not slit a bulls neck in ep1, so the woman beneath could have a shower. :nono:

PoochJD

Hi,

Oh dear! It seems the BBC don't have a clue as to if they have or have not edited this series. My apologies to everyone, as I spoke to a reputable contact of mine at the BBC, and he swore blind that no cuts were being made at all. Hence, my original posting. :( It seems that depending on who you talk to, you'll get differing answers.

To clear-up one misconception, the explicit four-letter "C" word shouldn't be cut on BBC2's transmissions, nor the BBc1 versions. Both "American Beauty" and "Sweet Sixteen", as well as "Magnolia" have aired on BBC2, with the "C"-word intact, with the films starting times varying between 9:15pm and 10:20pm at night.

On the internet, it seems the news, is still just as conflicting.

Wikipedia says the "C" word is being cut from the show, for UK transmission.

The Times - Online says that "Rome" is likely to be edited for "Family viewing"! :confused: Yet, the article doesn't state what would be cut, except for violence and sex, even though the BBC is quoted as saying no cuts will be made, even if complaints are made to OFCOM. (I don't think OFCOM has any power over the BBC anyway, do they?)

The Guardian - Online says edits may be made, though again, the BBC seems to have been quoted as saying that everything that happens in "Rome" is authentic and not gratuitous.

The Media Guardian says Episodes 1 and 2 were cut to remove extraneous background information, that was deemeed unnecessary for a British audience, but necessary for an American audience!

No Cuts Made! according to this forum post! It's actually just a technical NTSC-to-PAL issue!

Comparison Between US Episode 1 and UK Episode 1 seems to imply that YES, there are cuts being made.

Episodes 1 and 2 edited together!

BBC E-Mail Some Modifications Have Been Made

Why Edits Were Deemed Necessary

All-in-all, it seems to be a complete mess. No one can seem to officially confirm exactly what has been cut, why cuts have been made, and teh BBC seems to want to give out different reasons to different people - be they the public or the media!

I think that the BBC should really show the entire 12-part series, esactly as it was aired in the USA, on BBC4 (minus DOG of course), and then show the edited/altered version on BBC2 and 1 for those viewers who don't know or don't care about the cuts/modifications.

Lastly, I'm going to presume that when the show comes to DVD - which it's almost certainly going to - the US Region 1 release, will probably be the original HBO 12-part version, and the UK Region 2 release, will probably be the altered/modified BBC version.

As for the BBFC not allowing the butchering of animals, it's down to context. The BBC certainly showed the ritual slaughter of a bull in Episode 1 on Wednesday night, and providing that proof can be shown that the animal was a fake, or that the animal was not actually slaughtered at all (but was a clever FX job), then the BBFC should pass it uncut, but with an 18-certificate.

I'm quite surprised actually, that the BBC did air this show at 9pm! It's rather adult content, makes for a later time-slot more preferable. However, the first episode did get the BBC an overnight rating of 6.6 million viewers, so that's darn good.

Oh, yes, and there's likely to be a second season as well! :D

Pooch
(Desperately trying to retain his TV Guru status on the AV Forums!)

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
well my verdict is in...booooooooooring...I turned it off after half an hour...it was chock full of people desperately trying to act, all with the same fake, snooty, toffee-nosed accents; like fingers down a blackboard to me...it was so appallingly dull it was painful to watch. Give this a wide birth, you can't reclaim the lost time you may have otherwise spent watching something better (like the Paint Drying Channel)...trust me I am trying to help you here!

bowenjones

Decadence said:
well my verdict is in...booooooooooring...I turned it off after half an hour...it was chock full of people desperately trying to act, all with the same fake, snooty, toffee-nosed accents; like fingers down a blackboard to me...it was so appallingly dull it was painful to watch.
I was thinking the same as you but I didn't switch over. I'm glad I didn't as the final 20 minutes were excellent! You missed all the best bits Decadence ;)
Seriously though, I did think that it improved the longer it went on and, hopefully, will get even better once the beeb start transmitting the uncut episodes.

BocheB

Standard Member
It is an absolutely superb series, and light years ahead of 99% of supposed drama shown on TV these days. Decadence is so wrong it's difficult to respond without appearing to cast aspersions!

pjclark1

I enjoyed the episodes I have watched, and consider it unmissable.
They might remove the full frontal shot of the male sex slave so all you guys don't feel so humble.
I've never seen anything like it, he was GIGANTIC even when unaroused.
I've seen incest, torture, animal sacrifice, lesbians ........ Cleopatra turned out to be a right slapper.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
lol, it must just be me then...can't stand Lost either...I'll get back to watching American Chopper and Hogan knows Best... ;)

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme