1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rollerblind (blackout) 11.5ft wide, 5.75ft drop - £160 - Icestorm 5/6 colour

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rogeralpine, Apr 15, 2003.

1. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally moved from a painted Icestorm 5 wall to a cheap and cheerful blackout rollerblind. Measured, made and delivered in less than a week (usual turnaround 3 days) - company called Newton-le-Willows blinds based near Warrington (North West - will get the number later)

The grey black out material was perfect IMHO - slap bang between Icestorm 5 and 6. Nice weighted metal runner on the bottom to keep the material quite flat. Simple installation - easy to do yourself (company install locally, not sure if they offer a postal service)

For £160 it can't be beaten IMHO - especially since I wanted one so large. The 11.5ft width is used near enough to max with 2.35:1 aspect ratios - standard 4:3 drops to about 5.5 ft - which is the max depth that can be obtained.

Will try and get some piccys posted if anyone is interested. (I'm running an AE100 (on 535 hrs and no probs - (touches desk!!)) via a HCPC.

2. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Roger, that's a superb price for such a large blind. Do you have any plans to add a surrounding mask to the blind, either by painting it on or in some other way? Or do you not feel the need?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

3. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't actually feel the need to do that Bert (doesn't bother me in the slightest) - in any case, I increase the image size when watching 2.35:1 or equivalent to maximise the viewing pleasure, so a mask surround would not be appropriate.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Rogeralpine,

What kinda picture quality/brightness do you get with 11.5ft (wide, I assume) screen ? That's seriously big, is it a choice issue or is it a function of the available throw/seating distance arrangement for you ?

All the best,

Sean G.

5. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ritz - I notice very little reduction in brightness over an image that is half the size to be honest. I've not ceiling mounted my pj, hence I'm semi-restricted as to what screen size I have. The pj sits on a shelf at the rear of the room, and I thought I may as well have an image as large as possible - hence I've gone for nearly the full width of my room (on minimum, the screen could be set to about 8ft wide)

The main problem with a larger image is a "bigger" screen door effect if that makes any sense. The mesh becomes alot thicker and hence a bit extra de-focus is required to remove it - still doesn't impact much on the clairity of the image IMHO anyway, and with me being sat for most occasions over 15ft from the screen, it's not a problem and I don't really notice the SD from that distance.

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yip, I figured that screendoor would prob be more of an issue at that screen size, but an 11.5 ft image must look seriously awesome !

All the best,

Sean G.