Rollerball (1975) Arrow Blu Ray

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fantastic news the classic Rollerball is coming from Arrow Video in the New Year:

Coming to the UK – Rollerball! Pre-order it here: http://bit.ly/1AKMsZC
Release Date: 23rd March 2015
Format: Blu-ray
Starring: James Caan, John Houseman, Maud Adams...
Directed by: Norman Jewison
Synopsis: IN THE NOT TOO DISTANT FUTURE, WARS WILL NO LONGER EXIST. BUT THERE WILL BE ROLLERBALL.
In a corporate-controlled future, the world’s nations have been disbanded and conflict is a thing of the past. But blood continues to be shed on the tracks of Rollerball – a brutal contact sport which pits players in a battle of life and death.
James Caan (The Godfather, Thief, Misery) plays Jonathan E., celebrated captain of the Houston Rollerball team whose prowess on the track has earned him renown across the globe. But this fame has also attracted the ire of the games’ corporate sponsors, who wish to suppress any displays of individual achievement – fearing this could encourage the populace to revolt. With the powers-that-be pushing for his retirement, Jonathan is faced with a choice – concede to the Corporation’s will or take a stand, by continuing to compete in the increasingly deadly games.
Shot in Munich to make use of the city’s futuristic Olympic architecture, Rollerball is a classic slice of dystopian filmmaking, mixing high-octane action sequences with gripping (and thoroughly prescient) social commentary. The future is now – the future is Rollerball!
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the film from a digital transfer prepared by MGM Studios
- Original Stereo 2.0 audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
- Isolated Music and Effects Soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio Commentary with director Norman Jewison
- Audio Commentary with writer William Harrison
- Blood Sports with James Caan – A brand-new interview with the Rollerball star
- The Fourth City: Shooting Rollerball in Munich – Unit manager Dieter Meyer and others revisit the Audi Dome and other original locations
- The Bike Work: Craig R. Baxley on the Motorcycle Stunts in Rollerball – Stunt artist Baxley on the challenges and dangers of being one of the Rollerball bikers
- Return to the Arena: The Making of Rollerball
- From Rome to Rollerball: The Full Circle – original EPK bringing together interviews and on-set footage
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Theatrical Teaser
- TV Spots
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film, illustrated with original archive stills and posters.
Region: B
Rating: TBC
Cat No: FCD1072
Duration: 125 mins
Language: English
Subtitles: English SDH
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: 2.0 Mono
Colour
See More

Great news! Wow, a new Arrow release that I'm interested in at last (haven't been too many for me of late except the Vincent Price ones obviously!)

I was hoping this would happen. I wonder if we'll get a steelbook too? Im buying it either way!

As far as I can tell this is the second recent release by Arrow which has had a previous US release, and is listed as having come from a master provided by MGM - the previous one being The Manchurian Candidate.

It'll be interesting to see if Arrow can eek anything more out of those masters.

Steve W

As far as I can tell this is the second recent release by Arrow which has had a previous US release, and is listed as having come from a master provided by MGM - the previous one being The Manchurian Candidate.

It'll be interesting to see if Arrow can eek anything more out of those masters.

Steve W

I'm hoping for a better encode.

I remember seeing this then popping round to my parents and my father had Match of the Day on and though this is a bit tame, I was waiting for someone to knock seven bells out of someone.:D

Well that's my pre-order in.

Its funny after seeing the film there was a piece of music played in it that in days before the internet I could never find it and years later reading a book about a group of experts hired to come up with a global threat called something like Wild Cards and mentioned a piece of music and that was the one I was looking for:clap:.

Watched the new extras, superb. The whole package is fantastic. :clap:

Tele I might be wrong but Im sure I remember reading a while back that you didn't enjoy the film that much when you saw the US one? :confused:

Nick you must have me mistaken with someone else I have always loved this film (one of my all time favourites), it was me who kept on at Arrow to release it.

Nick you must have me mistaken with someone else I have always loved this film (one of my all time favourites), it was me who kept on at Arrow to release it.
Sorry tele! Must have got you mixed up with someone else like you say.

Not a lot in it really, except for the price. As expected the Arrow disc has marginally better compression, but it's still some way off of its best output. The MGM masters are a bit hit and miss to be honest.

Hmm, it does look like an older master to me. That red push is very DVD-like. There are a lot of film artefacts as well.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom