1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roller blind as a screen..

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jrwood, Jul 15, 2002.

1. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of tinkering with a roller blind to act as a screen. Im very pleased with the MDF grey screen but Im always willing to explore ways of making the home cinema as compact as possible :D .

I doubt there are any roller blinds 220cm in width? which is what I would be needing and would need to find a suitable grey one which does not wash out the whites but makes blacks darker than the light grey LCD produces. Also the material is probably crucial to how the picture finally looks, it probably has to be quite a thick roller blind? if such a thing exists!.

Any thoughts?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    220cm = a little under 8 feet.

My roller blind is 8 feet wide (which, at a 16x9 ratio makes it 4.5 feet high - actually its nearer 6 feet but the last little bit stays rolled up).

I gather that blind fabric comes in huge rolls which are 6 feet wide. Hence, so long as your height doesn't exceed 6 feet, you can have any width you want. A blind manufacturer will happily make you one. Mine orginally came from a John Lewis store and cost £145, although there are other suppliers (eg Network Blinds etc etc).

The only issue with manufacturing a blind in this way (ie the fabric is mounted "sideways" in relation to the roll it came off) is a tendency to curl on the vertical edges because it retains the curl of the roll.

Mine is the lightest grey available and is made of blackout material ie does not transmit any light through from behind. You can choose from a range of shades. Choose a darker grey to diminish the overall brightness to a greater extent, and also to reduce the effects on contrast of back-reflection (ie light from the PJ, bouncing off the screen, onto your walls and the back onto the screen). If you have already experimented with painting MDF grey, you should take a sample of your preferred shade and try to match it closely.

Provided it is blackout material, thickness doesn't matter. You may want to devise a scheme to tension the sides to remove the curl; I use a system of bulldog clips and elastic (honestly).

3. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    pictures please if poss i have a pull down screen and the riplles in the screem annoy me tried some bull dog clips & elastic cord but couldnt get the clips to stay on the screeen the elastic must have been tentioned to much

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    I bought a blackout rollerblind from BQ Warehouse and painted it icestorm 6 and painted on matt black borders.

It curls in a bit at the sides but really dosn't bother me when watching movies, only notice it when messing with Windows on pc.

I was gonna paint the back to see if it would smooth it out but have ordered a ProCinema screen now so dosn't matter.

Take a look at link in me sig for some homemade screen pics.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Pictures wouldn't help I don't think.

My screen is about 30 cm from the side wall at each side. There are 4 hooks in the side wall at each side. The 8no. 2.5 cm bulldog clips are each attached to a loop of elastic, hanging from the hooks. Screen down, attach bulldog clips to screen edges.

1) Ensure the elastic is just the right length to pull the screen straight without pulling the bulldog clips off.

2) If necessary, roughen the "gripping" edges of the bulldog clips with a coarse file to increase the friction.

6. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i will give it a go