Question Roll-up screen recommendations, plus related question about speaker positioning

Fish Face

Novice Member
Hi all, I've moved house and need to set up my projector (a BenQ W1070) in the new place. The room is a large loft conversion, and I will be suspending the screen from one of the collar ties which cross the width of the room at a height of just under 2 metres. I'm aiming for a 120" 16:9 screen - I watch TV on the projector as well as films, and the space is width-limited anyway. The viewing distance is approximately 3.5 metres, and somewhat broad - probably about 4 metres from one side to the other. Getting a motorised screen in might be a bit of a squeeze - if I can keep the width of the entire unit to under 290cm I'll have an easier time mounting it, anything over about 310cm is a no-go.

I have no idea what ambient light will be like because of the unusual room - although the "walls" are white, they are partially occluded from the screen by the dark rafters, and there is no ceiling at all. I should be able to black out the windows fairly effectively. The carpet is light but will have a dark rug nearer the screen.

The room extends beyond the beam to which the screen will be attached so I don't want to get a fixed screen (it might function nicely as a room divider but I don't know if I'll like it like that!) and the projector is fairly budget so I'm not going to spend tons for the best screen material, but I am concerned about curl/ripple as I'd like it to last a decent amount of time. Something where non-planarity isn't really noticeable after 5 years is what I'm hoping for, though I'm willing to get the sewing kit out and do the DIY tensioning. Having said all this if there's the option of spending a bit more to get something that will last to my next projector I'll readily consider it. I'm completely undecided on manual versus electric: to me getting up to pull the screen down is maybe less annoying than pressing the button and having the motor whirr for 20 seconds while the screen slowly descends.

The final aspect is acoustic transparency. I have a 3.0 speaker setup at the moment (I might add a sub but don't want my neighbours to hate me right away). The FL/FR can go on the floor for now but the centre would be at risk of getting kicked. I can probably mount the sides to the rafters but this again leaves the centre in limbo: it could go just above the screen (above the beam) or just behind at the top, which would require an AT surface. But in particular there is *no* option to place the speakers in the middle (vertically) of the screen so the benefits of AT in terms of the sound coming from the picture are limited. If anyone can comment on how weird it would sound (or look!) to have the speakers on top of the screen versus roughly in line/at the bottom, I'd be grateful.

So the main question is about surface quality and flatness at this size: what brands and surfaces are good (that are available in the UK) and if you can help me make my mind up about manual versus motorised, that would be great. Budget is flexible: with absolutely zero knowledge I was hoping to spend around £300. But if this is unrealistic let me know and recommend something more expensive ;)

Thanks all!

Bottlebrush

I'm sure the purists won't agree but my pull down Optoma 106" screen works fine. Not expensive but seems well made. I'm a bit fussy but not fanatical and I think it does a good job for the money.

Bottlebrush

I've the exact same screen and I think its great.

What projector are you using? I've got an Optoma HD143X. Compared with viewing on my 10 year old 46" Samsung films look great, the bigger image makes a huge difference. Once I get the sound sorted I should have a nice set up for less than £2k.

Stu75

What projector are you using? I've got an Optoma HD143X. Compared with viewing on my 10 year old 46" Samsung films look great, the bigger image makes a huge difference. Once I get the sound sorted I should have a nice set up for less than £2k.

The same one as the OP. BenQ W1070

Fish Face

Novice Member
I'm sure the purists won't agree but my pull down Optoma 106" screen works fine. Not expensive but seems well made. I'm a bit fussy but not fanatical and I think it does a good job for the money.

I've the exact same screen and I think its great.

How long have you had it, and how flat has it remained? I can find manual screens fitting the bill from Optoma, Sapphire and Elite easily, but finding out how the image quality and flatness is seems an impossibility!

Bottlebrush

How long have you had it, and how flat has it remained? I can find manual screens fitting the bill from Optoma, Sapphire and Elite easily, but finding out how the image quality and flatness is seems an impossibility!

I've only had it a few weeks. It's pretty flat, not as much as a tensioned one but I've not noticed any issues. It really depends on your tolerance, some people require perfection. I'm more of a " it's very good for the money but I'm not expecting perfect" kind of person.

Just checked it and there is a little waviness in the bottom 12 inches with light from the side. Projected light from the front I can't really notice.

Stu75

I've had mine near 3 years and its fine.
Mines actually a Sapphire which I believe is the same as Optoma.
It even says Optoma on my receipt.

Stu75

That's mine now.
20200701_143224.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom