1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roland, Any news on the quiet fan mod??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rob, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just curious if this mod is up and running yet. I've noticed the fans on the 808 have been particularly noisy over the weekend, probably struggling with the heat. Any news?

Rob.

2. harry_thx

harry_thx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I don´t know the previous posts for that problem, but I am running a Diode mod in my Barco 808. I soldered 2 in a row of each plus wire of each Fan ( only the 3 in the back). The result was so impressive, that in the time direct after the mod, sometimes I stand up and look into my Barco to check if all fans are running.

Of cause less air now flows through the system, but I only run at 576p Pal-progressive, so very less work to do and as a result les heat for the Barco electonics. In this working area 31.5Khz the mod runs steady and cost only a few cents and some minutes solderwork.

Best regards

Harry

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Having now taken out at least one projector due to slowing the fans down too much. It is clear how careful you need to be here. but at least I know how slow you can go.:)

Getting the fans to spin quieter should be thought of in three parts.
    1. Get fresh air to the projector. Or at the very least get the hot air away from it.
    2. Change the fans out with more efficient / quiter units
    3. Play with the voltages that feed the fans
      [/list=1]

The first will have a dramatic effect on its own. Most of us have our projectors strapped close to the ceiling where all the hot air gathers. If the poor old PJ then has to suck in hot air then the temp sensors will just ramp up the fans. In this sort of weather the projectors will get more noisy.

Harry make a good point the slower your run the scan rate of your machine the less heat it will generate. When I come up with my mod and honest it very close it has to cover all the scan rates and have an over heat protection in it too.

The Barco NMB standard fans are very good and one of the quietest around they can get a bit whiney and changing for a more efficient fan can help. The fans I have started using are far more efficient than the NMB units but the spin faster so the need to slow down.

One of the other problems with slowing a 12v fan down is it needs a boost to make it spin. There are a number of mods floating around that slow the fas down but they may at some stage not give enough volts to the fan to make it start spining. Less than 8.5v and I think you are headed for trouble. Barco has no feed back circuits to shut the projector down if the fan stops.

I have completed the first tests with a little box of tricks that achieves all the above and has a saftey thermo circuit so that if things get hot the fans will build in speed.

I just want to test it just a bit more to be sure. Fulabeer is first on my test list. I have already done his fans and partialy modified his powersupply.

Watch this space.

4. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks guys,

I think maybee fitting some air conditioning in the room would be a good start to keep the overall temperature down at this time of the year. An obvious thing to do, but as yet I've not felt the need. Are they noisey, what do other folk use?

Keep us posted Roland. I'd be up for the mod when available.

Rob.

5. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I address problems 1,2,3 as follows:-

1:
    I fitted a £99(normally £250) "through the wall" aircon unit, which keeps the room as cool as i want even on the hottest days.
    2:
    Roland has fitted my BD808s with the updated fans.
    3:
    I just await the next stage of the mod!. But to be honest i not too bothered about fan noise, but if this mod works then great.:)

6. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Paul,

Where did you get your air con unit from, and is it quiet? I seem to remember some people mentioning B&Q, who are out of stock at the moment. Wrong time of year to buy one really!

I don't usually notice the fans too much, more noticable when its hot, so hopefully this will help quite a bit. I'd still like quieter fans as well though when they're available.

Thanks Rob.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Living in Scotland we don;t have much need for Air con...except when I invite round 80 internet chums for an afternoon of geekiness.....

If you do decide to do the air con thing then here are top tips for jkeeping the noise down.

Try and mount the unit in a way to decouple it from the room. Rubber mounts etc. Use over size vent holes to channel the air. Larger vents will create less noise.

Try and make the duct from air con to vents take several 45 or 90 degree turns and if possible put some form of sound dampening at each of these turns.

Hope this is of use...let me know if it works....

Gordon

8. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I remember it well, Glad it wasn't this week, we would have needed to bring our waders ;) Hope you haven't had too many problems with the rain.

I'll give the air con some thought. Certainly need to do something about the heat. Problem is I'm too mean to spend a lot.

Thanks for the advice.

Rob.

9. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    As some of you may know i am about to start construction on my cinema room and the first thing that is going in is the air con.

I am having a Daikin unit which will be suspended from the pitched roof to avoid any vibration, the units are brand new out an are designed for bedrooms etc. so i am told should be whisper quiet.

The downside is i have a bloody great compressor sitting in the garden :)

10. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Oh and i forgot to mention, i will be running a CRT which has had the Chuck Williams fan mod (installed by our Scottish chum!).

Best

Elliot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.