Roku

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by next010, Jan 10, 2012.

1. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,056
    Well surprisingly it looks like Roku have decided to launch their players right away in the UK/IE although they will be pre-order but shipping at the end of this month via Amazon UK.

It looks like they are jumping on the Netflix bandwagon. Disappointingly there will be no UK/IE specific content it seems, though the PR release does state this;

They better have all the catch up TV services lined up otherwise there wont be much point in buying a Roku over a WDTV Live at nearly the same price if you want something for Netflix and the WDTV Live is still a far superior local media player than the Roku.

Only two models will be available the cheaper £49 Roku LT which is 720p, online streaming only via wifi, and the £99 Roku 2 XS which is 1080p ethernet/wifi, USB. The XS model can play H.264 MKV/MP4 files via USB and a handful of basic games like Angry Birds. Roku players cannot stream media from a PC or NAS, the only way it seems is to use the Plex media server with it.

2. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,583
    I'm in the market for a streamer and I was tempted by the roku until I found out it can't play from a nas. As you say had it done this I'd be out there buying one but internet streaming for me at the moment is a no go. They are big in America so I'd hope they have their heads screwed on with getting hold of content