Answered Roku Ultra. Good alternative to Himedia Q5 Pro?

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sent Roku an email to ask when the Ultra would be available in the UK and they were absolutely non commital. May never be available here like the Four.

Where do you guys import the US-exclusive Roku from?

The Ultra looks like it might be the one for me.

I sent Roku an email to ask when the Ultra would be available in the UK and they were absolutely non commital. May never be available here like the Four.

Got exactly the same reply. It's strange how Roku only put some of their models to the UK market. The Roku 3 must be due to get replaced soon though as it's several years old now. It's at a good price at the moment ÂŁ54.99 from Amazon and as I don't have a 4K TV and don't plan to buy one in the near future it's probably fine for me but I would hold out if I new there was a new model being released soon.

Bought an ultra on eBay, received today, looking forward to setting it up, will provide feedback when I do

I've had mine a week. Love it. There are a few bugs here and there, and I would love a better in-built media player app, but overall, well chuffed.

I've had mine a week. Love it. There are a few bugs here and there, and I would love a better in-built media player app, but overall, well chuffed.
I take it all UK apps work ok except BBC?

I take it all UK apps work ok except BBC?

I've set mine up as a US version as I use Hulu, HBO Go et al. I don't *think* you can mix and match US and UK apps on the one account, so I'm exclusively US at the moment. Netflix works fine with a UK account, but Amazon Video doesn't - i.e. if you want Amazon Video you have to either set it up as a UK Ruku and download the UK Amazon app or subscribe to US Amazon Video.

It's a shame it isn't like the Apple TV, where you can set up dual accounts and have all the apps work on the same box.

ok thanks, I'm happy with the UK version for now, I think I'd get more use out of it that way. Let's see how I get on this evening, maybe ill change my mind!

Got my Ultra set up last night. Have to say I'm impressed. I have a Nvidia Shield and IMO, the Ultra is better. I don't need the bells and whistles of the Shield and I much prefer the simple interface of the Roku.

All apps look good except BBC which is fine for me. I have a problem with Netflix though, it lists all the Ultra HD 4K titles in that section, but when I highlight them, it only shows it as HD, whereas on the Shield it would actually list as 4k. How do I play 4k content from Netflix? Might be missing something obvious.

Got my Ultra set up last night. Have to say I'm impressed. I have a Nvidia Shield and IMO, the Ultra is better. I don't need the bells and whistles of the Shield and I much prefer the simple interface of the Roku.

All apps look good except BBC which is fine for me. I have a problem with Netflix though, it lists all the Ultra HD 4K titles in that section, but when I highlight them, it only shows it as HD, whereas on the Shield it would actually list as 4k. How do I play 4k content from Netflix? Might be missing something obvious.

You have to restart the Netflix app. It is a bug. Quickest way is to go in Netflix settings then 'Help' then select restart Netflix. You should then see the 4K list of films.

I'll try that but to clarify. I can see the 4k list, it just doesn't play them in 4k or show 4k in the top information, just shows HD. But I will try your suggestion and see if that works

Just tried that, same as before, can see the 4k list but unlike the Shield or other 4k devices I've used, the info still shows HD 5.1 instead of Ultra HD 4K 5.1

I just found this on the Roku forum, I think this is my issue

Chiming in that I also have this problem.

When setting the Roku to 4k (10-bit), netflix displays the row of 4k compatible content, but only streams them in 1080 (and also badges them as "hd", not "4k").

Switching back to regular 4k works fine

I will test this but if it is the problem, its not a huge deal to me, my Roku is situated in my server rack, which sends the signal to the TV over a HDBaseT sender, which I don't believe can pass 10-bit HDR anyway, so I probably should not have set the Roku to output HDR. I'll change it and see what happens

I just found this on the Roku forum, I think this is my issue

Chiming in that I also have this problem.

When setting the Roku to 4k (10-bit), netflix displays the row of 4k compatible content, but only streams them in 1080 (and also badges them as "hd", not "4k").

Switching back to regular 4k works fine

I will test this but if it is the problem, its not a huge deal to me, my Roku is situated in my server rack, which sends the signal to the TV over a HDBaseT sender, which I don't believe can pass 10-bit HDR anyway, so I probably should not have set the Roku to output HDR. I'll change it and see what happens

Confirmed, that solved my problem :facepalm:

There are certainly some bugs to be ironed out. I seem to lose sound completely upon the device waking up, and the media player seems quirky as hell. A shame you can't download alternate apps for local file playback really. Hell, you can even do that on the Apple TV.

There are certainly some bugs to be ironed out. I seem to lose sound completely upon the device waking up, and the media player seems quirky as hell. A shame you can't download alternate apps for local file playback really. Hell, you can even do that on the Apple TV.

So if i buy off ebay and import an Ultra its not geo locked and im able to add UK tv apps so long as i create a UK Roku account .Also the psu just need a 2 pin adapter ?

So if i buy off ebay and import an Ultra its not geo locked and im able to add UK tv apps so long as i create a UK Roku account .Also the psu just need a 2 pin adapter ?
Yep. My ultra hasn't missed a beat for months now

It's not geo-locked. I set mine up as a US device though, as I subscribe to HBO and Hulu et al. You can't mix between US and UK apps as far as I can tell.

Yes. All UK TV apps work except BBC iPlayer which is irritating.

Yes. All UK TV apps work except BBC iPlayer which is irritating.
By 'all UK apps', does that include All4, 5oD, ITV Hub and Now TV?

It's not geo-locked. I set mine up as a US device though, as I subscribe to HBO and Hulu et al. You can't mix between US and UK apps as far as I can tell.

Interesting ... how did you get yours setup as a US device ? ... I've a Vudu account that I'd love to use ! ... I presumed that my BT homehub would say I was UK based and not allow me to download the US setup/apps - so a VPN would be required ?

PM me if too *OT* ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom