Roku Streambar Soundbar Review & Comments

keithwiggins

Many thanks for the review Steve. Its a great idea for peeps that dont want to spend a fortune and glad that for the price it sounds fine.

MaryWhitehouse

Now that’s good value :)

Gordon2147

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the review, on top of using this to refresh an older TV this stands out as an excellent kitchen solution, I have a PC monitor that I am not going to be using, and with this being wall mountable, would be a great use of the monitor and not over powering in the kitchen. The availability of Spotify and bluetooth for personal playlists, means cleaning will be more fun.

Only question I have for you, is where did you see it available for £99, at the moment can only find it for £129. Appreciate you don't have any control over when prices change.

Looks a cracking product and I am off to get one in a couple of weeks, hoping the price comes down. Although I will add that a streamer and soundbar in one for £130 is still good value.

Gordon

Last edited:

muljao

@Gordon2147

I was watching these as I was going to buy one for my father for Christmas but it wouldn't have been delivered in time. It's pretty much 129 everywhere that had it, but dropped to 99 on amazon for a time before Christmas, I think RRP is 129

boabis

They are going to sell millions of these. Perfect for older folks who struggle with Smart TV and can’t hear the telly!

My Philips TV is 5 months old and the built-in apps have started to play up already. Reverted to my Roku stick and it’s great. Only thing missing is Dolby Vision.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Is the USB to Ethernet adapter mentioned a third party product, or Roku? Would it work with Roku streaming sticks? Offering just a wireless connection seems pretty stupid to me. Even Amazon offer an adapter for their 4K Firestick.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Is the USB to Ethernet adapter mentioned a third party product, or Roku? Would it work with Roku streaming sticks? Offering just a wireless connection seems pretty stupid to me. Even Amazon offer an adapter for their 4K Firestick.
Third party, but a USB to Ethernet adapter is easy to pick up.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Thanks Steve. Does any such adapter work with Roku sticks too, or is it just the bar? Details of a suitable device would be welcome, if available.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Thanks Steve. Does any such adapter work with Roku sticks too, or is it just the bar? Details of a suitable device would be welcome, if available.
The USB connection on a Roku Stick powers it, so I don't see how you could use a USB Ethernet adapter. However, something like this should work fine with the Streambar.
Amazon product

tredman

Distinguished Member
I tried a few Ethernet adaptors on the streambar - all worked well.

Had mine for a few months now and generally impressed - wouldn’t have it on the main tv as it’s too bass heavy for me, but it’s decent on the second tv.

The apps are excellent IMO - just missing Channels I think. Amazingly, for a Roku, even 1080i live tv via hdhomerun works well.

rhodos

Does it use ir for the remote so that I can control it with an older Harmony or is it like the 4K+ stick which uses a wireless tech?

Really hope they bring out a wired ethernet adapter for the stick Roku's just as both Amazon and Google have done for their stick devices.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
They won’t. For some reason Roku seems to think that wireless streaming works so well for everyone in the UK that Ethernet connectivity isn’t needed. Utter tosh, but it’s the reason that I won’t buy their products. They do sell boxes in the US with ports though. Nice to see that they they hold their [potential] UK customers in such high regard.

tredman

Distinguished Member
Does it use ir for the remote so that I can control it with an older Harmony or is it like the 4K+ stick which uses a wireless tech?

Really hope they bring out a wired ethernet adapter for the stick Roku's just as both Amazon and Google have done for their stick devices.
The remote supplied with the unit uses wireless connection. Not sure if the unit has an IR receiver - it’s all fabric on the front so cannot see one.

saintedward

Novice Member
As a soundbar, how does it compare to the JBL Bar 2.0 All-in-One (Black) ? I'm looking for a new soundbar but my budget is fairly low and I'm looking for something that's compact, so many bars are around the 90cm+ range and that's too big for my cabinet. Ideally I'd go Sonos and link up to my IKEA Symfonik speakers elsewhere in the house but £400 is beyond what I can justify.

TrevorPhil

Novice Member
As a soundbar, how does it compare to the JBL Bar 2.0 All-in-One (Black) ? I'm looking for a new soundbar but my budget is fairly low and I'm looking for something that's compact, so many bars are around the 90cm+ range and that's too big for my cabinet. Ideally I'd go Sonos and link up to my IKEA Symfonik speakers elsewhere in the house but £400 is beyond what I can justify.
I came from the JBL to this and I would say the Roku sounds better. As well as all the Roku goodness, I think the speech settings are better and it has a bit more bass

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom