Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Roku Labs HD1000 - ver 2 beta 1 release

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by museumsteve, Dec 25, 2004.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,070
  2. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    steve does this device now truelly play Hidef Mpeg 2 streams via ethernet cable to your TV without fault or flaw

3. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,070
    not without fault/flaw mate. Still need some processing knowledge and time to sort files, but it's getting there. I'd say the Avel Linkplayer2 maybe the better option but that also still needs some work before plug n play use is a reality.
    The wait is on for the Kiss DP-600 as hopefully this will do more out of the box than the other 2 but until it's here there's no way of knowing.

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,070
    another beta has gone up, grabbing it at the moment :). It seems to be beta season at the mo :D

5. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Steve,
    Can you give an update on the Roku HD1000 and the status of the beta. I am in two minds to get one of these boxes.
    Thanks
    Paul

6. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,070
    it's much better than it was, now handles large TS files which can play flawlessly with some of the apps out there (as long as source is perfect of course).
    The more I use it the more impressed I am although I must admit t keep considering looking at a dedicated PC for TS stuff cos media player classic seems flawless for this IMO.
    Of course the Linkplayer2 is also heading in the right direction..just waiting for the next firmware update (due this month) to see if the WMV-HD support is really there..

7. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for the update. Do you know if the updated Rev B boxes are in the UK otherwise I will order from the US.

8. soiaf

soiaf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got one about 2 weeks ago and it was a Rev B. model, so they are around in the UK alright.

9. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Soiaf,
    On your Rev B version do you have 128mb?

10. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    Where do you get these from?

Cheers,
    Andy.

11. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  12. soiaf

soiaf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, when I go to system information it is showing I have 91 MB memory, which is the correct value (after memory used for frame buffers etc.)

I got mine online via
    http://www.roku-labs.co.uk
    which runs off Transaction One web server.

13. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I hope you didn't pay the full price on the Roku UK website. Its almost £340. Progress-AV have them for £260 inc vat and delivery.

14. soiaf

soiaf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I paid/bought in Euro (I live in Ireland) and I think the total cost, including delivery, was around 370 Euro (or so). That would roughly be about 260 pounds sterling.
    I had a quick look at the site, looks like they're out of stock of the HD1000 at the moment, only have the HD1500 (same machine, but with the art packs add-ons).

15. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Hi.

I just thought i would revive this thread.

museumsteve,

Do you own both a Roku HD1000 and a Avel Linkplayer2? I could do with some advice if you can help please. I am looking to get a machine to use for HDTV playback. I want to stream the raw .TS files from my Windows XP PC to a box that can sit under my plasma, hopefully via ethernet or wireless LAN (802.11g). What is currently the best solution for this?

I am also interested to hear about any issues with this process. Is it simply plug and play? Most of my .TS streams are in 4.5GB files, stored on DVD. My plan would be to copy a few files to the PC each time i wanted to watch them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Rob

16. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +756
    That Roku unit is pretty good - uses the ATI Xilleon chip.
    VLC (videolan client) works well with it. Several people in the USA use TSReader (www.coolstf.com/tsreader) with VLC , using a satellite tuner card to pick up HD transmissions and using WLAN connection with Roku.
    Roku Labs don't seem to want to market its streaming video capabilities for some reason nor did they highlight the increased memory capability.
    The author of TSreader (Rod Hewitt) is himself a sat TV enthusiast.
    I will be seeing him later this week at NAB ( www.nabshow.org )

Chris Muriel, (normally in Manchester but currently in Las Vegas for NAB)

17. scumball

scumball
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    I would like to do exactly the same thing as Pulsar (only difference being a projector instead of plasma :) )

Any info on which is the better machine for streaming 720p and 1080i .ts files would be great.

Will the AveL play 4gig .ts files from a UDF DVD? Have you heard of the Snazio Net Cinema HD?

I got this email from Snazzi Support:

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your interest in SnaZio* products specially in SnaZio* NET DVD Cinema. Please find my answer below to your query.

We are planning to release a new version of SnaZio* NET DVD Cinema soon. The new version will be named as “SnaZio NET DVD Cinema HD” and will definitely support playback of HDTV 720p & 1080i as well as HDV – High Definition DV (MPEG-II TS), WMV-HD and DivX-HD. It will also support upscale of non-CSS protected SD material to HD resolution.

18. togad

togad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just a quick heads-up on where you can get these from.

I got mine from Expansys ages ago for under £200. A quick check shows that they are now selling them for £230. Note however that this is the HD1500, which includes 6 art packs.

I would assume that these will be Rev B, as I believe Expansys order as required, rather than keeping stock.

19. kmm

kmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I have to say, I hadn't heard of the Roku HD1000/1500 until now, and by the sound of it, it sounds ideal for what I want.

I basically want to be able to play my HD .TS files at HD reolution on my HD LCD TV. I take it the Roku will do exactly that for me ?

I had been waiting for the Kiss DSP600, but it feels like I (and everyone else) have been waiting forever for it, so maybe it is time to look at another possibility.

Would the Roku be able to stream wirelessly from my PC with the following setup. I have my PC connected via a LAN cable to my wireless ADSL router (which I then use to connect my laptop to wirelessly for ADSL internet connection). How would I stream my .TS files to the Roku with the above setup ? Could I simply connect the Roku via LAN cable to my laptop and stream via that ? or is there an easier/better way ?

It does sound good, plus with the art packs included from Expansys it would make a nice feature when I'm not using it.

Cheers,
    Kevin.

20. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The unit has a USB port on the rear, just wondering if anyone has tried plugging in a USB DVD Rom into it? I know it can stream over network, but I have a lot of stuff on DVDr.

Al

Attached Files:

21. kmm

kmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    If that's the case, then how about a USB external hard drive ? Say 300Gb of the finest HD material.

Is the USB port USB2 ? if it is only 1.1 then it may not have the throughput required to sustain a steady stream.

Also, I have never used an external USB DVD-ROM drive, are they powered by the USB port or do they have their own power supply ? If they run off the USB power, then the port may not have enough power to run it.

I have placed my order for a Roku HD1500 from Expansys, £237 delivered seemed a good price to me.

Kevin.

-------------------------------------------------

Just a quick addition to add to my post. Just had a quick chat with a guy at Roku and he tells me that the USB port is USB2 and can be used to attach a HD (so, in theory, a DVD-ROM should also work).

In that case, the Roku sounds ideal. I wouldn't even need to have it connected to any sort of PC, merely an external USB drive.

Quite looking forward to it now.

--------------------------------------------------

And a further addition to my post above.

I thought I would check to make sure about the USB thing and found this post on the Roku (US) forum

Question:
    I'm currently looking at solutions to record & stream HDTV recordings and I like the idea of the Roku but I have a question. Since the Roku has both USB & network ports is it possible to connect an external USB hard drive directly to the Roku somehow and play back HDTV recordings on it?

Answer from Roku engineering:
    No, it's not currently possible, and if it were, you wouldn't be able to do HD streams since it's a USB 1.1 port limited to 12MBps

So, contradictory stories there then. I am inclined to believe the US Roku engineer's answer rather then the UK Roku sales guy's answer. But then again, the question above was posted in December 2004, maybe they have updated it since then, but personally, I doubt it.

22. soiaf

soiaf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The USB port is 1.1
    Even if it were USB2, it would need drivers to support a USB external hard drive (which it doesn't have as far as I know).

23. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There is always something to stop the thing you want doing everything you need :(

........ sounds female doesnt it :devil:

Al

24. peter350

peter350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Kevin,
    Were expansys selling rev a or b?

Peter

25. marker

marker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

The linkplayer 2 is available from www.onlybestrated.com over Canada, I got mine for £190 including 1 week express delivery... Plays .ts, wmv-hd wmv9, Divx-HD and upscales to 1080i or 720p via component... goto www.iodata.com and search the forums for info, lots of third party support as well....

Firm ware is constanly being improved on as well...

It has been shown to play .ts files with 22Mbs bit rate with ease.....

26. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,070
    Update for the Roku crowd, incase you haven't check out the Roku forums for a while, the HD1000/1500 now supports PAL and MPlay has incorporated it as well, it's perfect for streaming PAL HD stuff or ripped PAL DVDs over a network