1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ROKU HD1000:- Some Questions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mark Ward, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Not sure which forum this should have been in but as it's PC Network related I thought this would be the place.

I'm interested in the Roku HD1000 Network Media Player as a solution to allowing HTPC access to other rooms but I have some questions.

Does it have a Hard Disk?

Is it Quiet?

Can it play ALL Hi-Def Streams? (.ts .WM9 .MPG .AVI etc?). I read in another thread that the file size was limited to 2gb? But that can be got around by using VLC? How would you Implement this?

Will it play MP3's encoded with the APE Lossless CODEC? or Will I need to re-encode my Music?

How efficiently does it stream 1080i source material? And how does that look on an S-Video to a TV (I have a 32" WS-CRT)

Thanks for any help,

Mark.

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Mark,

No hard disk, although it'll take all the usual forms of flash memory. Silent operation, it has no fans.

It'll only play NTSC .ts streams at the moment. Roku had stated that 50Hz formats would be supported in the future, but I sold my Roku because I got fed up waiting :(

File size is limited to 2gb, kind of. The limit is in the SMB implementation it uses for accessing windows shares. It can be made to support NFS mounts to workaround the limit, or you can use VLC on a PC to stream to the Roku (there's a streaming client for the Roku called CinemaSix - you just tell it where your PC it, and what port VLC is streaming from, and off you go).

It will play all MP3s.

Not sure what criteria you'd use for judging the efficiency of a 1080i stream ?!?

HTH.

Cheers, Carl.

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the reply, good news on the silent running.

I really want to play my Nebula TV Card recordings which won't currently work I guess :(

As far as the Network Sharing FileSize Workaround I don't think that'll help me either. I really need control from the Roku end. My HT room is a LONG way from where I intend to put the Roku, there is already a Cat5e wired network connection, but I'm guessing I won't be able to Pause/FF/REW etc. from the Roku?

Do you know what the picture looks like on S-Video on a regular 32" CRT? To use RGB I'd have to get RGB passthrough from the Roku and I don't belive that's possible.

I mean does it suffer from the jerkyness/juddering common with slower PC CPUs?

Thanks,

Mark.

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Funny, that's exactly what I wanted to do - but in it's current form it's a a no-go. It will playback your Nebula recordings, but you'll suffer from either frame tearing or sound sync problems, or both :( I've ended up using a Netgem iPlayer, which is happy playing back nebula recordings (use Apache to serve the files in your recording directory, then browse recordings and playback using the iPlayer browser - not perfect since it plays back in a silly web-frame that's about 95% of full screen, but better than nowt).

Not sure what you mean about control from the Roku end w.r.t NFS mounts, but to be honest it sounds like the least of your problems with this set-up. I does mean you need some sort of NFS service on your PC though.

Ffwd/Rwd might work - but you're dependant on CinemaSix for that which is a 3rd party application and the developer works to his own plan. I know he's had several cracks at it, but it may or may not be working ;)

Can't help on the s-video stuff, I only ever used the component outputs.

1080i will be fine though, provided it's not bandwidth starved on the net connections (100Mbps would be needed, and you'd really need to stream as apposed to SMB-share since the Roku SMB implementation tops-out at around 20Mbps, which is borderline for 1080i). But internally, the ATI Xillion processor in the Roku is plenty capable - it'll happliy decode 4xSD or 2xHD streams at the same time - so 1x 1080i isn't really a big deal for it.

Cheers, Carl.

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the info Carl, I'm still kind to tempted to give it a try:)

Mark.

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I know what you mean - it's a nice box, and does what it's supposed to really well (piccies and music). And the roadmap for the software is pretty appealing .... I've got a sneaking suspicion that if they deliver on at least some of their promises (AAC support and 50Hz formats) I may well end up buying another one :)