Roku 3

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by next010, Mar 6, 2013.

1. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    Roku 3 has been announced and is on sale but only in USA at the moment, is intended to replace the 2XS model. C-Net review covers details.

Better build quality, new GUI, more powerful hardware (claims 5 times faster), dual band WiFi. Channel controls via tablet/phone app too.

Also a really nice feature I think at least, you can plug headphones into the remote and listen to the audio which it auto mutes on the TV.

Downsides, still no Youtube despite the hardware upgrade and the C-Net review implies that Youtube wont be coming any time soon. Probably hasn't changed much as a digital media player either though will have to wait for end user impressions on that as reviews didn't cover it.

If you were thinking of getting a Roku 2 then I'd hold on until the Roku 3 comes out here.

2. ovbg

ovbg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I think the headphone jack in the remote is a great feature.

But the lack of YouTube doesn't bother me. YouTube is fun to see some silly videos here and there, but getting that on to my living room TV isn't a priority (though I guess others see it differently)

What really disappointing me with Roku is their lack of non US services. Sure, they have iPlayer, but what about 4oD, ITV, Demand 5 etc. What about RTE and TV3 for the Irish market?

Now, if they chuck those services in, this is one hell of a box. I especially like their global searching feature!