Roksan Xerxes won't play at 45

Cosmo

Standard Member
Reaction score
After a period of inactive use I've discovered that my trusty Roksan won't play at 45 and is somewhat noisy at 33 as well. I though it might be the power supply but I swapped my newer mk III supply for the original one and it is no better.

I guess it must be a dodgy motor - any DIY alternatives to the no doubt hideous cost of a Roksan replacement?

After a period of inactive use I've discovered that my trusty Roksan won't play at 45 and is somewhat noisy at 33 as well. I though it might be the power supply but I swapped my newer mk III supply for the original one and it is no better.

I guess it must be a dodgy motor - any DIY alternatives to the no doubt hideous cost of a Roksan replacement?

Origin Live do a motor. You might be suprised at the cost of a Roksan replacement. They are a pretty good company with an eye on helping owners upgrade without resorting to buying brand new.

Origin live do a complete advanced kit for £339.00 and a cheaper kit for £225.00

Further investigation reveals that in fact both my motor control units were faulty. The older one had a resistor that had lifted off the PCB and seems beyond salvage; the newer one had an overheated transformer and a blown capacitor. :(

I have now replaced the wall-wart transformer part of the newer unit with a home made PSU with a much higher rating and now it all works, and better than ever. It can just about start up without help now and easily switches to 45 without any intervention. I don't think it ever did that before. :thumbsup:

I'll fix up the broken transformer unit so I can see if my new improved PSU makes any difference to the sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom