• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Roksan Xerxes won't play at 45

Cosmo

Standard Member
After a period of inactive use I've discovered that my trusty Roksan won't play at 45 and is somewhat noisy at 33 as well. I though it might be the power supply but I swapped my newer mk III supply for the original one and it is no better.

I guess it must be a dodgy motor - any DIY alternatives to the no doubt hideous cost of a Roksan replacement?

karkus30

Banned
After a period of inactive use I've discovered that my trusty Roksan won't play at 45 and is somewhat noisy at 33 as well. I though it might be the power supply but I swapped my newer mk III supply for the original one and it is no better.

I guess it must be a dodgy motor - any DIY alternatives to the no doubt hideous cost of a Roksan replacement?

Origin Live do a motor. You might be suprised at the cost of a Roksan replacement. They are a pretty good company with an eye on helping owners upgrade without resorting to buying brand new.

Origin live do a complete advanced kit for £339.00 and a cheaper kit for £225.00

Cosmo

Standard Member
Further investigation reveals that in fact both my motor control units were faulty. The older one had a resistor that had lifted off the PCB and seems beyond salvage; the newer one had an overheated transformer and a blown capacitor. :(

I have now replaced the wall-wart transformer part of the newer unit with a home made PSU with a much higher rating and now it all works, and better than ever. It can just about start up without help now and easily switches to 45 without any intervention. I don't think it ever did that before. :thumbsup:

I'll fix up the broken transformer unit so I can see if my new improved PSU makes any difference to the sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom