Roksan Radius 7 Turntable Review & Comments

Or you could get this Gyro SE | Michell Engineering with a Tone Arm of your choice for similar money, with much better sound, looks, engineering and flexibility, as well as having something that looks like its engineered, rather than something that looks like they picked up some scraps from a skip and stuck it together.

If it was priced around £200 – 300 yes, it would be fine, but at £2000 you’re having a laugh. (Or at least Roksan is all the way to the bank)

Bill

As the owner of a Gyro, it isn't that simple. Take the bass price of the Gyro SE as £1,490. With the Radius at £2,050, this leaves £560 for an arm- not enough for a Tecnoarm or the Nima (which having used both, is better than the Tecnoarm). Additionally, at the bassline cost, the power supply on the Gyro is nowhere near the standard of the Radius. Michell's HR unit is better- but that's an extra £485. Put simply, a £2,050 Gyro/arm combo won't be as good as this is- and as I say, I own one.

I agree that a Gyro/HR PSU and something like an SME309 will comfortably outperform the Radius- it ought to though as it is getting on for four grand.

Why put the speed controls so near the belt, for someone like me with big hands/fingers it can only mean trouble hitting the belt, and It looks like no tonearm support/clip, if so an expensive arm/cart, with no cover, hovering in mid air just waiting to be damaged. Otherwise this would have been on my shortlist.

One day I'll find a new turntable that ticks all the boxes that sounds good, looks good and I can use without any grief, or am I going to have to keep my old Revox going forever.

I spotted that whole 'speed controls too close to the belt thing' too.

It might just be the angle of the photos or the natural foreshortening of general photography lenses. Maybe Ed will expand on your concerns.

Is it the one where you don't have to put on the red light? lol

View of the motor top from above. The switches are close for sure but I've not come into contact with the belt using them;

Cheers Ed. Seen some videos of this going and it looks very nice. Think I'll try to find it and have a demo that way I can also see if my big mits foul the belt.

I agree that a Gyro/HR PSU and something like an SME309 will comfortably outperform the Radius- it ought to though as it is getting on for four grand.

I'd certainly hope that would sound better! I have never really thought of the Radius as being in the same class as the Gyro, so it is an interesting comparison.

Do you think that the Radius would sound as good as a Gyro with a Nima and HR power supply? I realise that the Gyro in that configuration is still £500 more, but this would be an end-game TT for a lot of people so they might be prepared to stretch.

Do you think that the Radius would sound as good as a Gyro with a Nima and HR power supply? I realise that the Gyro in that configuration is still £500 more, but this would be an end-game TT for a lot of people so they might be prepared to stretch.

On the understanding I haven't tested them side by side, it would be closer than you might expect (certainly closer than I might have suspected prior to the Radius showing up here) and would come down to preference. The Gyro is a bigger sounding device with excellent soundstage and scale. The Radius is more rhythmically precise and might have a slight tonal edge too. It would be a nice problem to have though.

On the understanding I haven't tested them side by side, it would be closer than you might expect (certainly closer than I might have suspected prior to the Radius showing up here) and would come down to preference. The Gyro is a bigger sounding device with excellent soundstage and scale. The Radius is more rhythmically precise and might have a slight tonal edge too. It would be a nice problem to have though.

Thanks Ed, that is interesting.

I never considered the Radius when I bought my Gyro SE (with HR PSU and Tecnoarm) so it is interesting to hear how close they are.

I'd probably still plump for the Gyro as it is the soundstage scale that I really love, but I'd like to hear the Radius as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom