1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roksan/quad combi......thoughts?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rowey, Jun 28, 2004.

1. rowey

rowey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just moved into my new house and the lounge is a little small (11x13).

I had a listen to the quad11l's before i moved in and loved them, esp adding a small sub (either the quake or mj ref100) for low end punch.

I've got an old rotel 971mk amp and arcam alpha 7se cd player at the moment and was considering a complete upgrade to the rocksan kandy 3 amp/cd combi.

I'm going to listen before i buy (obviously) just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this setup?

The other problem is rear speakers but i'll leave that for another time.....

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    I had a listen to this exact system before i bought my setup
    ( which went down a totally different path as it happens..)

I'd read all the reviews in what Hifi and thought this must be the one, but wasn't that keen on the sound..

Very good quality, can't be argued, but i don't think you could listen to that setup for long periods.. I was listening at reasonable levels in the demo, and soon started getting 'bored' IYKWIM...

Some recordings sounded pretty bad, the system is a bit 'too good' for lots of older stuff.. some beatles tracks were almost painful..

All down to your ears at the end of the day, but IMO the Quads are very honest speakers, and the kandy amp is a bit bright.. together they were a very 'harsh' (not the right word) sounding combo..

try the Nad C572? (the £400 one) with the Quads...that was much nicer...

3. rowey

rowey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that about the quads.....any bad recordings and they won't hide it!

I'm going to have to play with a few setups, definately like the quads with a sub for low end.....just got to get the amp/cd combo rights.

I'm almost tempted to keep the cd player and just go with a new amp for now. Thanks for the Nad suggestion, i'll give it a looksy.

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have a listen to the exposure 2010 series aswell, much better than the kandy in personal opinion. Still rate the kandy but exposure suits personal taste and is well worth a listen!

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Have a look at the new LFD mistral integrated amps.....luvley jubbly. Has a bit of the rythmic qualities of flat earth amps like Naim and a more relaxed and open soundstage of a valve amp. Best of both worlds. I had a good listen at the weekend.

6. rowey

rowey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you got a link to any of the LFD kit? they sound expensive.....!

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I dont know if they have a dealer, you could give LFD a ring. Not sure what the price is either, the guy that bought it might have a special deal but it was around £600.00.

Amazing amp, sounds as powefull as my 2 x Naim NAP 135s which got me thinking :rolleyes:

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    01255 422533 is LFDs phone number and looks like they do all their deals from there. Post your results, as I might be interested myself.now where can I stick a second system ? or maybe a pre power and give up the Naims :eek:

9. rowey

rowey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll give them a call.

Hoping to sort out a demo of some kit next weekend......if i can get in.

I think £550-£600 is my upper limit for an amp. I can't see me getting a cd player as well at the moment, so i'll have to stick with my little arcam for now! :)

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261

11. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all the models quoted as alternatives retial new at ahigher price. I'd call that a good sign. Personal opinion included with my type of music (Rock, Metal, With the occasional mellow guitar stuff too) which with your statement about sounding forward sounds better again.
    As far as reliability, not heard too many problems but they are meant to have a 3 year swap over guarantee!

12. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Rock and metal :clap: my sort of stuff. Any particulars ? The new ones are probably a lot better. A forward sounding CD player can balance a more laid back system, so you never can tell. Its always best to demo one for a couple of days at least if possible.