Question Roksan Kandy Phono Stage

heavypettying

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've recently bought a second hand Roksan Kandy mkiii amp, and I've been experiencing some problems with the phono stage. I'm using a Pro-Ject debut ii turntable (no built in phono amp).

When streaming music from my laptop, the Roksan sounds great. However, when I switch to vinyl it sounds muddy, dark, lacking in treble and lacklusrtre. So I decided to trouble shoot the Roksan phono stage. I connected my turntable up to my NAD phone amp and plugged into the line in on the amp. This gave me a great sound.

I have read that the Roksan phono stages are highly regarded. So my question is - is it likely that the phono stage is faulty in the Roksan amp? Or is it just not to my taste? It's not the end of the world to use the solution I've found, but if it is faulty I've half a mind to try for a refund.

Any advice welcome,

Thanks

Paul

Curious, does your Amp have an Phono MM/MC switch. It takes about 100x amplification to bring MM Phono up to Line Level, and it takes another 10x (1000x total) to bring MC up to Line Level.

If you are using MM with an MC setting, then you have 10x too much amplification.

If you are using MC with an MM setting, you have 10x too little amplification.

And make sure you are using a PHONO Input with Phono RIAA Equalization.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks Steve. The amp does not have an MM/MC switch. I have made some checks and the Pro-Ject turntable take an MM cartridge, and the amp is an MM phono stage - so in theory it should all work fine.

Interestingly enough, the Roksan amp manual says that if using an MC cartridge, the turntable should go into a phono pre and then into a line input (which is the solution I am using at the moment). I'm completely baffled!!

Paul

Thanks Steve. The amp does not have an MM/MC switch. I have made some checks and the Pro-Ject turntable take an MM cartridge, and the amp is an MM phono stage - so in theory it should all work fine.

Interestingly enough, the Roksan amp manual says that if using an MC cartridge, the turntable should go into a phono pre and then into a line input (which is the solution I am using at the moment). I'm completely baffled!!

Paul

A little confusing, you can only use ONE Phono Pre-Amp.

If you are using an external Phono Pre-Amp then you can NOT use the Phono Input.

And if you are using the Internal then you can NOT use an external Phono Pre-Amp.

And if you have both, then try both (SEPARATELY) and see if that makes a difference.

Here is what the RIAA Equalization look like -

RIAA equalization - Wikipedia

Bass Cut and Treble Boost are added when the Master Record is cut. Then on playback you need the opposite - boost the bass, cut the highs - to bring everything back to flat.

To bring the cartridge up to standard Line Level, with a MM (Moving Magnet) Cartridge, you need about 100x amplification.

To bring an MC (Moving Coil) up to Standard Line Level, you need an ADDITIONAL 10x amplification for a total amplification of 1000x.

The typical output of an MM Cartridge is about 5mv.

The typical output of an MC Cartridge is about 0.5mv.

Typical Standard Line Level is between 0.5v and as much as 2v.

Just a few additional thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Hello all,

I've recently bought a second hand Roksan Kandy mkiii amp, and I've been experiencing some problems with the phono stage. I'm using a Pro-Ject debut ii turntable (no built in phono amp).

When streaming music from my laptop, the Roksan sounds great. However, when I switch to vinyl it sounds muddy, dark, lacking in treble and lacklusrtre. So I decided to trouble shoot the Roksan phono stage. I connected my turntable up to my NAD phone amp and plugged into the line in on the amp. This gave me a great sound.

I have read that the Roksan phono stages are highly regarded. So my question is - is it likely that the phono stage is faulty in the Roksan amp? Or is it just not to my taste? It's not the end of the world to use the solution I've found, but if it is faulty I've half a mind to try for a refund.

Any advice welcome,

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

did you find a resolution to your issue?

I too have just purchased a used Roksan Kandy Mkiii and find the the sound great on line level inputs but really flat on phono. I also tried using the phono preamp of my old Marantz integrated into the Kandy line input (great minds think alike?!) and found the mids to highs much improved. I am also using a MM cartridge...so that is not the issue.

I find it hard to believe that the dead sound coming out of the phono stage of the Kandy is as designed. It is so far removed from the great sound through the line level inputs.

Cheers
Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes - my dad had the exact same amp, so I managed to test two of them side by side through the same system. The phono inputs on both amps had the same issue - lacking in high / mids, and rather dull and muddy. I concluded it’s just the way the amp is built. I ended up just going into an external preamp and into a line input - sounds good to my ears.

All the best

Paul

Thanks Paul. That is disappointing. Like you I read reviews before buying and understood that the phono stage was well thought of. Makes you wonder??? Guess I'm shopping for a phono preamp now so the Kandy doesn't end up being such a great bargain after all.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom