1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roksan kandy III

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by newbie265, Sep 30, 2004.

1. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am thinking of buying the above amp and cd player to go with moniter audio silver s6's at the front centre and s1's at the back going through the preouts of either pioneer ax5i or a denon 3805.Has anyone got this combo? i have read some good reviews sevenoaks (where i am buying my gear from after a demo) dont have them in stock to try.
    Also are there any options at a cheaper or similar price worth looking at?

2. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cyrus CD6x/6vs might be worth a look too.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Rega Planet new or S/H Jupiter or Exposure 2010 or S/H 3010. Both will be very good matches for S6. A better sound too. IMHO

4. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've never heard of these makes are there any reviews around?

5. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    At Lintone.co.uk they have the cyrus 8 for 600 quid and cd 8 for 759.99 how do these compare,they look smart but the amp is only 70wpc compared to roksan kandy 120wpc?

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Newbie,
    I think before you go to much further you need to stop and think of what you're trying to achieve. Are you looking for more detail, bigger soundstaging or just a more expensive CD player. Not trying to be rude here but if you let us know we can make better suggestions.

7. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Fair point , Maybe it would help if i told you the kind of music i listen to I like a lot of prog rock yes,genesis, pink floyd,marillion ,beatles,rush,and acoustic pieces like the later talk talk albums,steve hackett ,stuff flike depeche mode, jarre .My brother-in-law has a 4000 naim system which sounds fantastic especially on acoustic pieces as if they were playing in the room.I appreciate mine won't sound as good as that but i suppose as i listen to the type of music which has inticate acoustic pieces in i want fine detail but I play a lot of concert cds too which I want to come alive.I don't know if I am explaining myself very well.i have always had cheap all in one hi-fis from dixons etc which seem to overload on the bass and muddy the sound.
    I just figured you get what you pay for in the cd/amp well it wasn't a fact of buying an expensive cd player just looking for great sound.
    Hope that :blush: helps

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    OK Newbie,
    Sounds to me like your looking for a pretty good all rounder with the emphasis on detail retrieval. And something that can produse a big soundstage and fill the room.
    If your prepared to look second hand I think you'll be very surprised by just how good you can get.

Pros and cons of the Exposure system. Exposure's been a round for quite a while now, founded by an ex Naim employee. The sound is as usual fairly unique. The emphasis being on musicality and excitement.
    The 3010 CD and 3010 integrated system (Retail - £2200) can be had second hand for £1000. A superb all rounder, producing a massive soundstage and good detail retrieval combined with a sense of timing and a foot tapping rhythum that just makes you want to keep on listening. The amps are solid and have plenty of power. Can be upgraded with the 3010 power amps. When the 3010 series was released it received mixed reviews. Maybe it wasn't fashionable. I have one as a reference system. I've tried quite a few different systems with the S6's and always find myself coming back to the 3010's. That's what they do to you. There are better CD/Amps around but none that are as much fun. IMO. http://www.exposurehifi.com/

Rega have again been around for a long time, they made there name in Record players, it took them a long time to get into the CD market but when they did they built a brilliant one. The original planet had good reviews. As did the Planet 2 and 3.
    It's a great CD player great for detail retrieval and very musical. The Jupiter has the same sound only more refined, smoother and all in all a much bigger sound. The Lower priced amps are not quite as good but when you get up to the higher end amps they are really something. I could seriously reccomend a Jupiter CD, Cursa Pre and Exon Power combination. This would give your friends £4000 Naim system a good run for it's money. Add another Exon and it would destroy it!
    This really is one of the most enjoyable and involving sounds around. It is minimilist HiFi but everything seems right. There is enough bass but not too much, the treble is wonderfully smooth. And the midrange full and transparent. Adding the extra power amp and Bi Amping just improves things further. Acoustic guitars take on a whole new meanig. www.rega.co.uk

Even if you don't go for either of these you should try and listen to them just to compare. You may hate it you may love it. Whichever way it's worth a listen. I'd be interested to hear how they compare to the Roksan.
    Where in the Country are you?
    HTH

9. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The rega planet is meant to give a more vinyl like sound. From what I've heard of my cyrus kit it's very dynamic and quite 'party' definitely something to tap your feet along to. I couldn't really comment on naim, linn or exposure stuff because I've not heard or read many reviews of it.

10. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Tom,
    The original Planet certainly gave an impression of vinyl like sound I heard this and didn't think it worked particularly well. After all CD is CD and Vinyl is.... Well, Vinyl. Two different sounds. Listening to the Planet 2000 it's seems the designers have pitched for a very rhythmic and detailed player which has been passed on to the 3000.

This is something I don't understand. Are there many Exposure dealers near you? Down this way they seem very popular but speaking to a lot of people on this forum they seem not to have heard of them.
    Same goes for Rega, and to a lesser degree Naim.

11. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the info where is teh best place to get s/h gear,seems I may get more for my money.I am in Gravesend in kent by teh way.

12. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have the Roksan Kandy amp, the best bet is to pop in somewhere like sevenoaks sound and vision. Try a few amp and cd player combinations and let your ears decide, I would suggest take alond a few cds that you listen to regularly.

By the way i'm in gravesend too :thumbsup:

13. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  14. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exposure 2010 is definately worth a listen it sounds much more full and considering it claims half the wattage of the kandy it sounds very powerful.
    www.exposurehifi.com, www.roksan.co.uk, www.arcam.co.uk
    all three brands would be my choices for demo at that price check the sites for dealers.

15. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie,

If you do stretch your budget for your cd player or will consider secondhand, give the Roksan Caspian Cd player a listen. I found it really picked the music up and threw it at me when I listened to it in a recent demo and it had good detail retrieval aswell. It definately stood out for me compared to players at a similar price. This was compared to the similar priced Quad and Musical Fidelity Xray. The Rega Planet has also been recommended to me before but have not been able to listen to one yet.

Again, it will depend on what your ears like the sound of but I would give the Caspian a listen if you get the chance.