Roksan Kandy DVD - problems

Maughan

Standard Member
Reaction score
I purchased a Kandy DVD player last week.

I spent the weekend setting it up and playing discs. When it works, it is very, very good (especially on CD playback, ironically) :thumbsup: , BUT...

Several times (10 times?) when I have loaded a disc, the player just spins the disc for ages, displaying "LOAD", but doing nothing - it just seems to hang like a crashed computer. It doesn't seem to recognise what type of disc has been loaded, because it doesn't display either "DVD" or "CD". Pressing "eject" or "stop" or "play" does nothing - you just have to leave it for several minutes. Eventually, I can get it to turn off and then on again, and then I eject and start again. Eventually, it will work.

This applies to both DVDs and CDs (all of which are clean, perfect condition, well looked-after, store-bought discs that worked fine in my old equipment).
Also, when I have tried to play a couple of DVDs (again - store-bought, perfect condition, worked just fine on my old player etc), the player does not go into the introductory menus but just freezes with the counter on zero. If I then press "play", I eventually get a heavily broken-up, distorted, pixellated image that is entirely unwatchable. (On one fairly new, store-bought DVD, I could not get it to work at all - it kept doing all sorts of strange things each time I tried to load it.)

:mad:

I have of course carefully read the manual and have followed all the suggestions (eg. like pressing "close" to start playback, rather than "play" etc). But I know how to use a DVD/CD player (who doesn't?) and it is clear that the player has a fault.

Has anyone come across a fault like this before, in a Roksan or any other DVD player?

Aside from returning it, any suggestions for trouble-shooting...?

Thank you!

I sent a PM but forgot to add the problem i had with it was when connecting the scart it froze the player because the power cord was connected.All connections should be made too the player before you connect the power lead.

Hi jerryq7777

I received your PM - thank you. I have replied to you.

I did notice that the Scart connection was rather loose/wobbly, but I made sure it was snug and as secure as possible before switching on. All other leads were securely seated.

Although a loose Scart connection might affect DVD playback, surely it won't affect CD playback? And surely it would not prevent the player from recognising discs (which is what seems to be the problem). But then again, maybe a dodgy connection might cause the "freezing" you describe, which is similar to my problem. I will experiment...

I called Roksan today (as I had not had a response to my email, which mirrored my post here). The guy I spoke to was fairly helpful but seemed to be trying to avoid saying: "It's faulty". They are going to have it back to repair or replace without too much fuss (bit of a hassle for me, though), but he seemed to be trying to suggest that it is the discs that are faulty - I told him no way! They have all worked just fine in the units that the Kandy is replacing. He said that it is unlikely to be a fault with the lasers or the player generally if it works 4 times out of 5. I said I did not accept that at all! But the bottom line was that they seemed willing to sort it out.

I really hope it can be sorted quickly and simply because it is great when it works (especially CD playback - outstanding).

Any other Kandy DVD users out there with stories to tell (good or bad)....?

Maughan

I have the same model, a very solid piece of kit! The only downside in my opinion is that the layer change is noticeable, which is the reason I have just bought myself a new Marantz DV4500 (see other thread). It's a shame though cos apart from the layer change, the ROKSAN really is an excellent machine in every way.

I tried selling mine on the forums, but without success. Looks like good old eBay if anyones intersted. :rolleyes:

I have seen several references to "layer change" - what is that?

I assume you have not had any of the same problems that I have described...?

Did you use it with component or Scart?

Maughan said:
I have seen several references to "layer change" - what is that?

I assume you have not had any of the same problems that I have described...?

Did you use it with component or Scart?
No, fortunately the unit has been perfect. Regarding the layer change, some discs are made up of two layers. At the point in the film where the layer changes, there can be a slight pause. I use RGB scart.

I tried using component cables last night (QED Qunex) instead of Scart.

I had all the right settings on both the TV (Philips 30PF9975) and on the DVD player, but I couldn't get a picture/signal (an error message said something like "Cannot receive signal").

Another problem!

It is going back to Roksan with a demand that they replace it with a tested, perfect brand-new one....

:mad:

Hi,I have recently bought the same item and all was well for a month but now I am suffering your problem.Did Roksan sort it out? can you advise what course of action you had to take. I agree that the cd playback is superb!!

Kingmike

Roksan were very good - all sorted out under warranty, no fuss, no problems. The only hassle was packing it up and taking it to the Post Office (and paying £££ postage). Has worked just fine since then.

Actually, that isn't quite true... It stopped working suddenly - just a hiss through the speakers (and a stuttering picture on DVD playback). After much experimentation and frustration (and weeks of just not playing CDs and DVDs), Roksan told me to unplug it, leave it 30 seconds and try again. "Yeah right!" I thought. But it worked - something about re-setting the processor (?). It has been just great since. Great - but not so great to preclude the arrival of my new Naim/Dynaudio system arriving next week... (Anyone want to buy a Roksan DVD/CD player? It is good!)

Maughan

Cheers for your reply,
The player was won on E-Bay from a shop with boxed as new description with full 2 yr warranty, but whether it is a recognised dealer is another question. I have a feelling I am going to have a problem over the warranty unless Roksan are easier to deal with. Did they say this is a known problem?:confused:

Same here. Roksan recognised and honoured the guarantee. :thumbsup:

Call them up and ask to speak to one of their engineers. They are certainly familiar with the problem and were helpful and open about it - no fobbing off.

M

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom