1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roksan Kandy CD/DVD

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jerryq7777, Nov 27, 2004.

1. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Does anyone own a ROKSAN CD/DVD player ?Im thinking of buying one and wanted owners opinions before taking the plunge.They were originally £650 new but can be bought brand new now for £250 :)

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would of thought that as a DVD player ok but as a CD player very good, also that is a very good price is that new or Ex Dem?

John

3. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Its brand new i would be using it as a cd player to replace my old Denon.It is a good price i can only assume they never sold many and are selling them off cheap to make way for new stuff.

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Either way Jerry that is a good price and Roksan do make some nice kit, i would say go for it at that price :thumbsup:

John

5. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    very nice price, worth a go!

where are they available at 250?

6. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Ebay just do a search for Roksan.Although the buy it now option is gone there is another there for £240 buy it now only a few weeks old.

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jerry as long at it is Genuine and as they say "2 weeks Old" then it sounds like a good buy!!

John

8. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
  9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good news Jerry i think at that Price you can't really go wrong mate!!!!

John :)

10. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    He has another for sale on EBAY for anyone interested.

11. RickJT

RickJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a great deal. Will the cd sound quality be as good as the dedicated kandy III cd player? Or is it more of a DVD player?

Be interesting to hear your thoughts when you get your hands on it Jerry.

12. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    We have one new Kandy DVD player going for £300 and one Ex-Demo model going for £240 at the moment at Sevenoaks Edinburgh. Give me a call if anyone's interested, 0131 2297267.

Chris.

13. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    I got the Roksan yesterday delighted with it.Solid construction and a huge soundstage compared with my old Denon.Not tried it with dvd yet to busy feeding it CDs :laugh:

14. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jerry - Would be interested to hear your thoughts so far - this sounds like a bargain.
    Also, can anyone tell me whether it does PAL progressive? Doesn't say it in the spec so I am assuming not.....

Jimmy

15. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Im very pleased with it i connected it to the TV today and tried a film good picture quality and great sound too.Not sure if it has progressive scan there is no mention of it in the manual.Are there any giveaway signs i should be looking for in the manual or on the remote ?

16. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Jerry

Joined this rather late, I know, but I have the Kandy DVD, and no it does not have Progressive Scan

How are you finding the player now you've had some time with it?

Cheers

Tillster

17. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Im using it mainly for cd playing and am delighted with the sound quality.
    The display is a little small and dim and it takes longer to read a cd disk than my previous player but thats no problem really.A bargain at the price and they are still selling on Ebay at the BIN price of £245.

18. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi jerryq7777,

I bought one from the same guy on eBay about 3 months ago. Not a bad piece if kit for the price!

Have you played many DVDs so far? The reason I ask is that I have a 'slight' problem with mine. With certain DVDs (only originals), when the machine first spins the disc, it tends to make quite and awful low-pitched whirring sound - thats the best way I can describe it. It usually only lasts a few seconds, generally up to the main menu of the film, then goes back to normal. One disc I can recall doing this is, 'The Last Samurai'.
    I am just wondering whether yours or anybody elses is doing this?

With CDs it is perfect (it has a seperate laser). Apart from the minor problem, I am very pleased with it - great picture on my 28" Panasonic, great sound quality, and in particular a very solid bit of kit.

19. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am starting get a little worn down by the CD delivery of the player, but this is mainly since I upgraded the rest of system, and I think it is being a bit shown up

However - Jerry and MSYam - I am curious about your experiences of the DVD performance; I am a little let down, but without having yet made a side by side coparison with a more recent dvd player, and a little unsure.

I'm also using a not-terribly-good 6 year old Panny 32 inch......which doesn't help :rolleyes:

MSYam, yup - I have that problem as well, cannot think why it is. I also find that on CD's with a high number of tracks it unilaterally decides not to play anything beyond track 13. Rather annoying, but hey ho

20. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Chris

I also bought one at this knock down price around a year ago, but have never been given a clear answer on why they were so reduced in price from the MRRP

Are you able to shed any light on this?

21. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Craig,

I noticed you also have a similar av amp to my 640SE. I am thinking of 'eventually' buying a seperate stereo amp, in particular the matching ROKSAN Kandy, just like you have. What are your thoughts on the amp? I would imagine there is a huge improvement over the Yamaha? Also, how have you connected your amps? Is it straight forward?

22. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yep, the stereo amp is a huge improvement over the Yamaha for listening in stereo. Depends what speakers you have, I guess, but if they're up to it I would suggest a change. You could probably get hold of a Mk 1 or mk II Kandy for around the 200 pounds mark. I would not go much below this level of amp though, but the proof is always in the listening, so suck it and see

Connection is simple;
    - Kandy DVD's RCA outputs to the Kandy amp
    - Kandy DVD's digi output to the Yamaha
    - L/R Pre outs on the Yamaha RCA'd to the aux input of the Kandy amp
    - When setting up the Yama levels, turn the volume on the amp to 12 o clock

- When listening to music, use the RCA input, and adjust volume from the kandy amp
    - When listening to AV, turn the input on the amp to aux, volume to 12 and everything else is controlled thereafter by the Yamaha

I'm quite sure I could have written that in a more compact manner, but anyway, there you go :D

23. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers craig, that's a big help.

My speakers are Mordaunt-Short Avant 906 fronts (RRP £350), so I think I need a decent amp really. Although the Yamaha sounds pretty good at fairly high volume levels, it lacks quality at low levels. I could do with an amp which sounds good through the whole range. I was even thinking of a budget stereo amp, maybe one of the NADs - theyre meant to be great. More affordable too! Do you think a budget model would be a waste of money and not beneficial?

24. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Firstly, I think it's worth having a search on old threads and also starting a new thread about, as you'll get good ideas from others as well. Whilst this thread is a bit old, the title isn't going to help others join in contribute

Whaddya say?

25. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    MSYam

I have the same problem when first putting a dvd in a whirring noise.When it plays the movie its ok.I think its the face plate of the drawer if you push it while the dvd is in the noise goes away.The dvd quality looks ok to me nothing special but im using a cheapo 5 metre length scart cable as i have the cd/dvd in my hifi rack.

26. jerryq7777

jerryq7777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +651
    Craig just noticed your post about track 13 on CDs and had the exact same problem
    today.The disk just seemed to spin continually without starting the track.This was on a copied disk so will try an original to see if the problem remains.